Guinea Pig Competition 2021?

jimbloomfield

Full Fledged Farker
Normally we would be doing practice cooks for the Matt Dalton Guinea Pig BBQ competition in Coachella California. Today would-be pork which we would later freeze to have at the Stagecoach Music Festival. Unfortunately, both are on hiatus this year, with the Guinea Pigs future unclear. What a concept of a one price competition with all the proteins included, that paid ten deep in every category. Sterling Ball of Big Poppa Smokers came up with this fantastic concept where for a reasonable price anyone could compete on a level playing field and compare their skills. It was a fun weekend with the Kids Q and Friday night buffet where all teams would bring a side dish or desert. Then the BBQ competition on Saturday. To the Sterling and the Big Poppa Smokers team: Thank You all for having the foresight to try and move BBQ competitions forward with this concept. It was the only way we could justify (money spent) competing and meeting new friends. Enjoy these few photos of the Matt Dalton Guinea Pig Competitions. Sterling always joked that photos like this end up in the sock drawer. Here is our link to all the thousands of photos we have from these years.
https://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-Sock-Drawer/Smugmug/
buy

buy

buy

buy

I'm pretty sure I was at the last Guinea Pig (GP) competition in Virgina 2 years ago. Sterling Ball gave a long (maybe too long) speech before they handed out the meat, and he explained his reason and ideas with the GP competition, but he also stated that they just weren't as popular as he had hoped.

As someone who only competes a couple times a year I really enjoyed the GP. It felt like it was much more of a level playing field with everyone having the same quality of meat. It's a shame that they won't be doing anymore, but I guess "the people have spoken" and they'd rather not do things this particular way.

Back