Guinea Pig 2016

here is this years prize breakdown....it was changed slightly due to the presence of stronger teams but Ill take this any comp....

58.3% of teams cashed a check (28 teams out of 48)
16.7% of teams made more money than their entry fee (8 teams out of 48)

$450 total fee including meat and ice and dinner

Grand Champion earned $1,825.00
Reserve Grand Champion $1,410.00

James and the crew went above and beyond making sure I had everything I needed to fly in and compete. He even went and fabricated a new rib hanger for my drum when the original one got "acquired".

I love paying the top 10 overall. It rewards people who have good days that are going home with empty pockets at other competitions.

I could cook these events all year long.

The 3rd Annual Guinea Pig (GP III) has been over for more than 36 hours, but here I am waking up at 2:30 am still smiling about how wonderful the event was.

Thank you, yet again, to the man responsible for the event - Sterling "Big Poppa" Ball. Hopefully you were as happy as the teams were, with the outcome and execution this year. Things were run impeccably, and the service to the teams was without equal. Much of this is a credit to your devoted team at Ernie Ball Music - Jessie, Jody and James "The Flame" Perez (plus others who I sadly don't remember the names of), but ultimately that is due to the leadership and example which is set for them.

Having the participation of Arlie Bragg, Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh, Ian Schmidt and Julie Poe ensured that everything played smoothly like a James Valentine Signature Guitar :thumb:.

The host facility, Shadow Hills RV Resort, is so fantastic - lush grass, real restrooms (with hot water, and showers !!!!), and a community that welcomes the bbq teams and judges with open arms. The owner even came around on Friday night to personally greet us, and ensure that we were each invited to a gathering with the other residents around a roaring fire.

Since I don't use Facebook or Instagram, my thanks to the additional sponsors will be presented in the following format: #snakeriverfarms #SRF #IheartWieners (hmm, maybe this one should have been excluded) #SmithfieldFoods #smokinwithsmithfield. How crazy is it that a $450 entry fee, that includes all meats, provided a brisket which individually is valued at $169. This was my first time handling such a beautiful piece of meat, all I kept repeating to myself is don't screw it up. In addition to the briskets, SRF also provided Waygu hot dogs for the Friday night weenie roast and dessert potluck. Them be some awesome tube steaks. And the desserts, wow! Hopefully people enjoyed my pig candy pecan toffee. This was my first time cooking with Smithfield pork, and it definitely won't be my last. The ribs and butts were from their Extra Tender line - look for them at your local Walmart (and other stores, I'm sure). In particular, I really loved the ribs - they didn't need any injecting to stay moist, and really plumped up during cooking. Thank you Annella and Shane from SRF, and to whomever at Smithfield that believes in the value of the Guinea Pig competition model, and the leadership of BPS.

Congratulations to Lady of Q (Sylvie) on GC, Hickory and Spice (Rick Mysse) on RGC, and all of the others who heard their names called. It was so much fun in the awards, as this event pays 10 deep in each category plus overall, and all teams get called up. This really spreads the love, and results an a lot of happy faces.

Personally, I was cheering the loudest for my comp neighbor (and fellow judge) B'Mackin (Brett). Not only did he receive a call in ribs, but his daughter "Tiny Bre'Mackin" won the Kids Que burger competition for 6-10 year olds, and had the highest score, even over the older kids.

It was an honor to sit behind KCBS powerhouses Shake 'N Bake, Gettin' Basted, Grills Gone Wild Iowa and Pigskin BBQ. Just check out the KCBS ToY results page for 2015, and you will see the street cred that each of these teams have. They are each humble, funny, personable, and true bbq ambassadors - thank you all for coming back to California, and hope it won't be the last time, either.

As always, I'm looking forward to Jim's pictures, as he has such a unique talent of capturing the special moments which convey the feeling of an event.

Thank you again Big Poppa...

100_0102.jpg

turns out 40 isn't my lucky number
100_0100.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0094.jpg

#ICP in the house
100_0088.jpg

don't screw it up, don't screw it up, don't screw it up...
100_0105.jpg

100_0103.jpg

Night shot of the marbling
20160219_203848.jpg

Great pork...
100_0108.jpg

100_0109.jpg

I could go through 10 packs of ribs at the store, and never find 3 racks with bones these straight
100_0113.jpg

100_0114.jpg

Ice was included (and delivered), and not tiny 10 lb bags either
20160219_122435.jpg

It's 2016, and kale is legal :clap2:. For anyone considering it, here are my appearance scores. My actual results are due to taste and tenderness, as a minimum of 2 judges in each gave me 7's in those areas. Kale didn't hurt my appearance, and was too damn easy to build nice boxes quickly. Bought 6 bunches before the contest, but only needed to use 4 of them.

Chicken - 8, 9, 9, 8, 9, 9
20160220_114510.jpg

Ribs - 8, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8
20160220_122301.jpg

Pork - 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9
20160220_125311.jpg

Brisket - 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9
20160220_132557.jpg

Good looking boxes brother.... I may end up trying it for garnish this year as well.

Guinea Pig 3

We just returned home from participating in the Guinea Pig 3 BBQ Competition. We have had the good fortune to take part in all three of these comps.
This novel concept is necessary all across BBQ America. Your entry fee covers all costs which includes the meat you cook. Thanks to @Smithfieldfoods we had extra tender pork butts and ribs. Annella from @snakeriverfarms supplied the brisket. It was Waygu this year and such a treat for us.
When you have a level playing field and know that all of the participating teams surrounding you are cooking the same quality meat, with the same timeline to prep and cook, you are able to compare yourself against BBQ Champions.
The fun starts Friday with meat hand out. It is followed by Kids Q competiton (hamburgers) then the #snakeriverfarms weenie roast and pot luck where all the teams join together.
We all know or have heard of teams that cook 3 premium briskets and take 6 slices from the best. That meat cost along makes the fix cost competition promoter supplied meat a necessity.
This is an honest to goodness KCBS event with real BBQ pros. Go to the KCBS site and see the teams that competed and take note of the purse. Teams came from all over to compete.
Thanks to Big Poppa Smokers and his team for putting these events on. When one comes anywhere near you be sure to sign up. It would be nice to see this concept sweep the nation so more new BBQ Teams and families could join in the fun. As someone who has judged BBQ contests I truly believe until you participate in one, you will never understand the effort and dedication the teams and the event planners put forth to makes these happen. Only then will you marvel over someone like the “Lady of Q” (Sylvie) who was the Grand Champion at the Guinea Pig 3 and did it all herself.

This is a "Private Event" for the safety of the children. Please note this was a KCBS points event.Dubbaga gave a great overview and has better photos.Most of mine are from the Kids events.

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00194-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00191-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00230-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00231-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00255-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00268-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00292-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00296-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00332-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00497-X3.jpg

-Guinea%20Pig%203-2016_00574-X3.jpg

I was sort of busy so didnt get to take many shots but here are ones I got or were sent to me

Kids Que really fun
IMG_0381.jpg

We had a weenie roast with Snake River Farms tube steaks..hahaha Also put a call out to the teams for Chili and had ten awesome chilis James Jody and I cooked 325 of them I had to try one...ok two...ok three.
IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

THe KCBS TOY in Pork Ribs and Chicken...Me Tim and Brad This is the extent of the media you get when you win the national crown.
IMG_0385.jpg

Dessert
IMG_0392.jpg

right before awards
IMG_0394.jpg

Anyways Smithfield Pork Snake River Farms Simply Marvelous and BPS made this happen
Look for exciting announcements with tentative events in St Louis, KC, Des Moines, Georgia and Virginia. Who can guess the people in each city that are signing up to make this happen a who's who in bbq They know what is needed.

Looks like a Awesome Event. I hope to one day be part of it only being only 30 minutes from my house. It always sounds like a cool event to be part of.

Thanks for the shout out Scott! It was cool cooking next to you as you saved me with the chimney help. And may I add props to you for cooking the entire contest on one drum. That's pretty impressive bro! Let's cook it up again sometime.

Wal Mart and it's awesome Not just saying it...I picked the pork that I wanted to cook and then approached Smithfield. They totally get what we are trying to do. Shocked me....but a gentleman named Stone....Tuffy Stone put in a good word for us too. These are fabulous and affordable and single pack....You know when you buy a three pack that the middle one usually is weak. Think of how many times you bought a two pack of butts knowing that one had a killer money muscle and the other useless? Single Pack Smithfield rule.

Wal Mart and it's awesome Not just saying it...I picked the pork that I wanted to cook and then approached Smithfield. They totally get what we are trying to do. Shocked me....but a gentleman named Stone....Tuffy Stone put in a good word for us too. These are fabulous and affordable and single pack....You know when you buy a three pack that the middle one usually is weak. Think of how many times you bought a two pack of butts knowing that one had a killer money muscle and the other useless? Single Pack Smithfield rule.

Good to hear. I've been all over town looking for 3 pork butts for this weekend, and so far I've only picked up 2. Both of them were these from Wal-Mart. I think I'll go buy a compart duroc for my 3rd butt so I can see the comparison.

Of our meat was great. Showing up and finding some one we knew as our neighbor (Thom Emery) started the weekend out on a good note. Behind us was team Loot N Booty. Another great neighbor. With the Friday Weenie roast, we met more teams and made new BBQ friends. The one thing I was would change is the Guinea Pig on happens once a year. Wish more competitions had the fixed price with meat included.

BTW - what was the average size of the Pork Butts? I looked at my local WalMart and they were all in the 7-8lb range. Usually like 9-10lb for comp to get the bigger MM.

Yes I do love individual packaging of ribs/butts - Big Poppa great job of introducing us to the new meat items!

Back