GrillGrates .. on top or replace?

bear_down_chicago

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
I know not many gasser users on here, but just curious what most of you are doing? Ace had the ‘half’ sets of Weber on clearance so i bought 2 and now could essentially just replace the Weber regular grates or just leave them on top.

Grill grates work really nice on the gasser. Leave them on top. If you turn the grates over its like having a flat top

My cheap grates were falling apart, so I used mine as replacement grates. One advantage of replacement is they wiggle less and have less chance of coming apart when scrubbing, moving meats, etc. so I liked that aspect of the replacement side. Mine came with 17"x26" I believe, so would be four 6" pieces and one 2" piece or so. I used to leave the small section out which left the last of 5 burners uncovered, and I would install my pellet smoke tube or my wood chip box on top of the last burner for easy access to add smoke.

I now have other cookers and do not use my gasser anymore, and also take them to friends and families houses to cook, so now I just set on top when cooking, then wash and store in container bin with other grilling items when not in use.

I've got a full set for my old Genesis. I keep them on top of the grates. Makes it easy to remove and elevates them a bit to allow some of the heat to move around. I found if I didn't have enough airflow around the grates (even with the holes in them) that my grill would get super hot under the grates and actually started to melt some of the parts around where the gas burners come in. Elevated seems to work much better and allow better air flow.

Flipped over they work well enough that it has held me off from buying a Blackstone. Just keep in mind, that the Blackstone has plenty of airflow around and under the griddle. Try to keep that when using a griddle or restrictive grates on a standard gasser.

I tried their griddle inserts and didn't' like them as much. Probably could have bought a blackstone with the amount of money I've spent trying to make my Weber a Blackstone.

Back