Grilled salmon recipe request for the brethren.

lantern

is One Chatty Farker
The lady of the house wants some grilled salmon. The cooking is no problem. The problem comes with the fact that EVERY SINGLE VERSION of grilled salmon that I like she has a problem with. So I'll post her demands and see if anybody has a recipe that's beyond oil, pepper and salt. I will be cooking over charcoal with some alder wood to add flavor.

No lemon
No dill
No Asian flavors
No BBQ sauce flavors
No spicy anything
No blackening
No mustard
No vinegar or pickle flavors

So what do I have to work with here? The alder smoke and simple S&P make a tasty fish, but I wanted to give her juuust a bit more flavor.

No lemon
No dill
No Asian flavors
No BBQ sauce flavors
No spicy anything
No blackening
No mustard
No vinegar or pickle flavors
Wow, that rules out a lot! It sounds pretty much like everything I hate too :becky:
BUT
I am told that if you sprinkle the salmon all over with brown sugar, then just enough Worcestershire to wet the brown sugar, leave that on about 30 minutes then cook, that is supposed to be pretty tasty.

I haven't tried it as naked as that, because I couldn't leave well enough alone and added mustard and onion powder too. The boys said they'd definitely eat it again, though.

A lot of people like maple on salmon, but that just gives me the heebies too.

I cook my salmon in the oven @ 400* until it has an internal temp of 138* and pull it and serve. By the time it is removed from the glass dish it was cooked in it is about 140* internal, as measured by my Maverick.

I season with lemon/butter and Tony C's, but you could season with just some Lawreys and some evoo. Takes about 15 minutes from prep to table if the oven is pre heated. No muss, no fuss, and it tastes as good as it did when I cooked it on the grill.

I think that it cooks so quick that it doesn't have time to really absorb any smoke flavor. So it is much quicker and easier to cook it in the oven. Just don't overcook it. !40* internal seems just right for us leaving a good thick steak juicy and flavorful.

Blessings,

Omar

I would cheat and challenge her. I plank my salmon then sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder (light), white pepper (light), a thin coat of Dijon and then top with a sprinkling of brown sugar. Cook it to 140-145 IT at about 380-400 degrees indirect. Delicious.
She won't taste the Dijon.

You sure she is not wanting a Filet o'fish?

Wow. That is a very strict list when it comes to fish. Not sure what you can make for her, but I'd definitely cut the plank in half and cook yours differently...

mayo and lemon pepper is pretty dang good,I do that in a tinfoil pouch with lemon slice on top turns out pretty darn good.

Clint

Brush salmon lightly with melted unsalted butter, salt and pepper, cut thin slices of orange and onion to lay on top of the fish. Now get your alder plank starting to smoke. when the plank is ready lay the fish and cook the required doneness. It will be tasty and no rules will be broken.

LOL!!! Thanks everybody for the suggestions. And YES! It is certainly a who's who of things I LOVE doing to salmon that she doesn't want.

Soooo..... I went went something simple. Olive oil, S&P. And then since it was suggested I went with something the woman can't do without......brown sugar!

The results of grilling direct over charcoal with some alder pellets and that brown sugar made her a very very happy woman. After her her first bite she asked, "Can I have this again? Like, soon?" :becky:

Oh.....and she SHOCKED me with the suggestion of, "Next time can you find a way to get a teeny tiny bit of cayenne pepper in there for just a bit of kick?". I must be finally rubbing off on her......but I won't use cayenne. I sat and stared at my chile de arbol forever before deciding NOT to use it because she is such a pansy when it comes to heat. :wink:

Alright here's a couple pics. Sorry for the quality, but she wasn't waiting on my camera and sure wasn't caring that the grill basket pulled a few chunks out! She took two pics from her cell phone and emailed them to me and told me to get back! LOL!!!

She has since sent another pic of just the bones. I do love the smart@$$ along with the sweet girl.

Probably the most popular thing I cook is salmon on the kettle with alder wood, indirect heat.

salt & pepper, light coating of sugar in the raw, sliced garlic (optional), capers (optional) and dill (optional), served with a lemon wedge. The dill really does go great...maybe try just a little of dried (not fresh) dill next time.

Probably the most popular thing I cook is salmon on the kettle with alder wood, indirect heat.

salt & pepper, light coating of sugar in the raw, sliced garlic (optional), capers (optional) and dill (optional), served with a lemon wedge. The dill really does go great...maybe try just a little of dried (not fresh) dill next time.

Oh I use and love all those things. I was just very handcuffed by her demands on this. She really hates dill. It was only for her as I don't like my fresh salmon cooked at all. I love me some sake sushi.

My woman thanks me every week for being unrelenting and presenting her with foods she "couldn't eat" since we met decades ago.
Now she enjoys a huge range of flavors, but when I met her, simple bland was her whole diet.

My woman thanks me every week for being unrelenting and presenting her with foods she "couldn't eat" since we met decades ago.
Now she enjoys a huge range of flavors, but when I met her, simple bland was her whole diet.

LOL!! I know what ya mean. But this one needed to be by the book as I was feeding her before she left for most of the day to visit her mom. Plus.....she woulda been pissed if I gave her something she might not like when I ROCKED myself some shrimp stew earlier in the day for my Atkins diet.:biggrin1:

I do love broadening the palate of those around me though.

Planked salmon with Simply Marvelous Pecan rub is a popular request - combined with applewood smoke.
Zero fish odor or scent- nothing but flavor.

Back