Grilled Coconut Shrimp

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I came across this recipe earlier in the week and wanted to give it a try, having never made Coconut Shrimp.

No prep pics, but the marinade consists of:

Lime zest
Lime juice
Canola oil
Soy sauce
Grated garlic

I toasted some coconut and as the recipe recommended, added it in with the shrimp and the marinade, letting it sit for about a half hour. To further the depth of the coconut I spread more toasted coconut on a plate and dredged the shrimp in it.

Some red peppers and leftover white rice from Chinese takeout made into fried rice. A few chicken fingers as well -

I0K1Ji2.jpg

The Coconut Shrimp is on, only took about 5-6 minutes total. Final internal temp around 120F. Rather than grilling each side and flipping which would cause a loss of coconut, I was able to stand them up -

0Tq9hbX.jpg

Just about done and looking real good! -

suS5Xkg.jpg

Dinner is served -

RvEiWU0.jpg

4rAiAqg.jpg

This was so much easier than anticipated and the results were excellent!

Thanks for checking in on today's dinner.

Regards,
-lunchman

I showed this to The Bride and she said,”you’re playing out of your league.”
Brutally honest observation.
Dang that is a helluva cook
Amen

Oh my! Love coconut and shrimp I'd love that right about now. :hungry:Loving that cooker Dom!

Thanks, all. This was so easy to prepare and well worth the minimal effort.

For those wanting the recipe search for Epicurious.com Grilled Coconut Shrimp with Shis*h*i*to Peppers. Somehow it popped up in my Google newsfeed earlier in the week and I had to give it a try. I used Large Shrimp 8/10 per lb.

I've never heard of Shis*h*i*to peppers, so some run of the mill red bells had to do. And as usual, I did my own thing by not following the recipe exactly.

I toasted the shredded coconut in my small CI skillet, mixed it with the marinade as recommended and then decided what the heck - toast some more to dredge the shrimp in just prior to grilling. I think that extra dredging helped a lot.

Lots of grated garlic in this and the lime zest and juice gives it a fresh taste.

The Mrs said I can make this again, anytime. :thumb: And I probably will.

-Dom

Last edited:
In my best Macho Man Randy Savage voice..... "Oh Yeah.... Lets have Miss Elizabeth bring us a plate of that and a cold beer"....

Looks great I did some fried ones last week will have to try grilled now that I have some left over coconut flakes. I would have thought the flakes would fall off on the grill. Interesting!

Looks great I did some fried ones last week will have to try grilled now that I have some left over coconut flakes. I would have thought the flakes would fall off on the grill. Interesting!

Thanks. The recipe did mention that you'd probably lose some, especially since they cooked theirs on one side and then flipped to the other. Grilling them standing up, I did lose some coconut when I removed them, but not a lot. I considered grilling these in cast iron which probably would have worked fairly well. Forgot to mention that I did liberally spray the grates down with oil before putting the shrimp on.

My first time having made these, I think they turned out pretty decent. They were moist and that lime juice and zest really did the trick.

-Dom

Back