Grill Dome

Reel Karma

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Elly Jones
Hey folks! Got a project Grill Dome Kamado that a buddy gave me when he moved. I have contacted GD for information on a new firebox since the one with it is cracked, but they don't have any large ones in stock. Pondering getting something(cement) to piece it back together. I've seen a few generic fireboxes that say they 18-22" fit.

Recommendations on a replacement firebox or the best cement to use.

Thanks and looking forward to the forums on here!

Hey folks! Got a project Grill Dome Kamado that a buddy gave me when he moved. I have contacted GD for information on a new firebox since the one with it is cracked, but they don't have any large ones in stock. Pondering getting something(cement) to piece it back together. I've seen a few generic fireboxes that say they 18-22" fit.

How badly is the firebox cracked? I've seen many ceramic owners get long use out of fireboxes that had multiple cracks using shims as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFjVL82GqFM

If the firebox won't hold together, high heat furnace cement will help to put it together again.

Not specific to Grill Dome, but many of us with broken fireboxes in the kamado style cookers use little strips or pieces of wood to wedge between the outside of the firebox/inside on outer shell, to hold the firebox together. Generally works well, unless it's broken into too many pieces.

How about posting some photos? The most common fix is to let gravity hold the firebox together until the replacement arrives.

A non-cement option is to use a tile bit and drill-stop the crack(s), which means drilling a hole at the end of the crack so it can't propagate.

Non-cement fix #2 is to drill opposing holes on each side of the crack and use 12 gage copper wire (solid) to sort of stitch the crack so the pieces stay in alignment. I'll try to locate some photo's of this method.

Rutland Refractory Cement is another option. It cures in less than 48 hours and is good to 2200°.

Here you go, this VIDEO demonstrates the stitch method I mentioned as well as how to rig-up eyes and 360° support wires to hold everything in place.

Spending some extra money on a bit for ceramic (or tile) might not flake the ceramic as bad as some holes in the video. But.... filling in with cement is an option here too. It just amounts to how serious of a repair you are going for.

I recently replaced the firebox in my large GD. The new firebox has vertical grooves that I assume are to allow expansion and contraction according to the heat level. Hopefully I'll get at least another 10 years out of it.

Attachments

• 20210801_115642.jpg
    20210801_115642.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210801_115658.jpg
    20210801_115658.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 58
How about posting some photos? The most common fix is to let gravity hold the firebox together until the replacement arrives.

A non-cement option is to use a tile bit and drill-stop the crack(s), which means drilling a hole at the end of the crack so it can't propagate.

Non-cement fix #2 is to drill opposing holes on each side of the crack and use 12 gage copper wire (solid) to sort of stitch the crack so the pieces stay in alignment. I'll try to locate some photo's of this method.

Rutland Refractory Cement is another option. It cures in less than 48 hours and is good to 2200°.

Thanks man. Appreciate it

Back