THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
We have a family tradition of doing a Good Friday fish fry. Actually the fish fry was a result of a family mutiny against a very strict catholic matriarchy which had a firm grip on the family. Easter weekend was a great time on our family farm near La Grange, TX (God’s country, and yes same place as mentioned in The ZZ Top song), but the Good Friday meal could use a little help. Growing up Catholic meant no meat on Fridays during lent, but on Good Friday, they MEANT it. The traditiol GF meal was canned salmon croquets and box Mac and cheese which my grandma would prepare. Yeah, pass. Once me, my brother and cousins became of age we bucked the trend. We had 2 stock tanks on property stocked with bass and catfish so decided to go off on our own and skip the salmon croquet for fresh fried fish. And a ton of beer. Of course we were in no rush so serving time was somewhere around midnight.

Parents caught wind and wanted in on the next years GF fish fry. As it turns out, they were not thrilled with the midnight serving window so adjustments were to be made. This fish fry grew to a crowd of well over 50 people including priests from 2 different local parishes to say grace over this deal. It was a thing. Over the years, some of the elders passed and life tended to take off some numbers but the GF fish fry persevered.

Until Covid showed up. And we are all scattered to the wind and no big family get together

But I am still frying fish.

About 5 large filets of pond raised catfish. About 2 lbs of cod scraps. A bag of red potatoes and a bad of sweet corn/onion hush puppies. A bottle of Macon Villages Chardonnay and a bottle of some sparkling wine and I am ready to roll

Red potatoes cut to 1/4” thick and par-cooked at 310 in peanut oil for 7 minutes. Will finish at 375 later. Hush puppies cooked.

Cat fished soaked in buttermilk for 2 hours and rinsed. Will bread in Louisiana seasoned fish fry spiked with a bunch of black pepper and will fry hard

Attachments

HEB has some cod fish packs in their freezer section. Irregular cuts. Really fresh and always good. Perfect for frying. In my opinion, if you are frying fish, the best thing is catfish, cod speckled trout and crappie. Don’t get me wrong the list can go beyond that if you wish. But other fish like red snapper or red drum are fine fried but even better grilled on the half shell. Chicken dolphin and triple tail make great ceviche. But back to fried. Love me some cod scraps and catfish.

Later

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice tradition. I didn't grow up Catholic but married into it, and thus, converted myself. The traditions are difficult to get used to, but I can soon get back to grilling red meat on whichever day I want. No doubt that your fish fry is well worth the sacrifice. Enjoy!

Enjoyed reading about the history of your Good Friday event, and I'm glad that you're able to keep it alive... even if on a significantly smaller scale for the time being.

Grub looks delicious.

Kind regards from Out West.

Looks like a great meal and even better that you provided the fish. Enjoyed the back story too, thanks for sharing!

Back