Good day all!! New to the site, but not to food. lol

Dr. Weld

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dr. Weld
Good day, Good day, Good day,

I'm Dr. Weld and I love to cook and I love to eat good food. lol

I stumbled across your lovely forum when I was searching for smoking tips and recipes. I just recently(Last 3 weeks) started smoking food(Please, no booing.) and it's been a fun experience so far. I smoked Ribs my first week, and chicken wings last weekend. This weekend, I'm doing burgers and some pork-belly burnt ends. The Queen wants me to do a brisket and pulled pork, but I don't have the time for that with the smoker I have. I told her when I get a pellet smoker ( Heading to that thread next) I will gladly smoke both of them for her.

I have a stick burner that was built by one of my students, she's not the prettiest, but she gets the job done. The specs on the smoker are 18" diameter pipe, 3/8ths thick wall, with a 24" x 24" 1/4" thick heat box. This sucker weighs over 600Lbs. I do have to put some finishing touches to put it on, the Queen ( GF) was very impatient, so we had to rush the last bit of the build, but it's serving me and the family well the thus far. The smoker isn't in it's finally resting place, we are doing extensive yardwork( New inground pool, yeaa, ugh), so it's a temp spot.

Anyways, thanks for allowing me to be part of your forum, hopefully I can contribute, but I will most likely be a lurker, asking a ton of questions, and taking in all I can for now.

Not sure why some pics are sideways, but I think you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG-0555.jpg
    IMG-0555.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-0575.jpg
    IMG-0575.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG-0580.jpg
    IMG-0580.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG-0577.jpg
    IMG-0577.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 141
WELCOME! Glad you have gotten into the hobby! Hope you learn a ton, the info is here!! Since you are looking for an easier method to cook big meats AND you are good with metal (i assume by your name), i want to suggest building an Ugly Drum Smoker. They work really good and they're cheaper than a pellet cooker. Not trying to discourage from the pellet cooker though. They rock!

Last edited:
WELCOME! Since you are looking for an easier method to cook big meats AND you are good with metal (i assume by your name), i want to suggest building an Ugly Drum Smoker. They work really good and they're cheaper than a pellet cooker. Not trying to discourage from the pellet cooker though. They rock!

Thanks for the response.

I will have to look up what an ugly drum smoker is, thanks for the tip. Yes, the pellet smoker has my attention, because of the set and forget it mentality. I do love to cook, but I also enjoy doing other things on the weekend than watching a stick burner for 10-12 hours. I don't mind the shorter cooks (Under 5 hours), but those other meats, not for me. I love brisket too, but can't devote a whole weekend to one. lol

Yes, I'm pretty decent with metal, from what I've been told. lol

Thanks for the response.

I will have to look up what an ugly drum smoker is, thanks for the tip. Yes, the pellet smoker has my attention, because of the set and forget it mentality. I do love to cook, but I also enjoy doing other things on the weekend than watching a stick burner for 10-12 hours. I don't mind the shorter cooks (Under 5 hours), but those other meats, not for me. I love brisket too, but can't devote a whole weekend to one. lol

Yes, I'm pretty decent with metal, from what I've been told. lol

I am not good with copying the threads into here but:
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...:7tglly3ft5s&usg=AOvVaw1Wq1uwzNsJOU1wkgHhVPZJ. This has info about a UDS, IT IS LONG. Once you get familiar with one, it pretty much runs without watching it...unless you are like me and want to check in frequently

Wow. Nice Rig!

Welcome!

Note to your Queen: Impatient and BBQ are mutually exclusive terms. Dickey's BBQ is an example.
Yes, I told her that. She was just excited for me to start smoking. She knows it takes a while for the cooking process, but she thinks Rome was built in a day, well at least this smoker. I told her I had my first year students building and they are still learning ( Measure twice, cut once, add more metal, measure again, cut again, repeat, ect, ect.) applies. lol

Nice looking cooks.
Thanks. I'm a decent cook in the kitchen and with a grill, just new to the smoking world.

I am not good with copying the threads into here but:
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...:7tglly3ft5s&usg=AOvVaw1Wq1uwzNsJOU1wkgHhVPZJ. This has info about a UDS, IT IS LONG. Once you get familiar with one, it pretty much runs without watching it...unless you are like me and want to check in frequently
Thanks

Official MOAT on UDS:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

882 pages, and counting.

If the answer isn't in the threads, I'd be surprised. You have a big advantage over some of us in that you can weld. Have fun!
Thanks!

Here's the UDS thread that covers all you need for the basic UDS. You can get quite fancy, but this will get you cooking fast.
If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

Thanks.. I did a quick google search and found a site on how to build one.. I do have 55 and 80 gallon drum barrels at the School. Hmmmm..

Thanks so much for the tips and warm welcome!!

No clue why everyone is telling you to build a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). You already have a rig.

Figure out how to keep your rig at various temps for long periods. Mix up some Bobby Flay Rib Rub (Google search for recipe), coat a butt with it and cook it until the bone pulls out of the butt easily. It's very forgiving and you can play with temp control while cooking.

Nice to see another metal melter on here

Glad you’re here. I look forward to seeing you develop your Q skills on whatever you end up cooking with!
BTW, at first I thought it was “Dr. Weird” instead of “Weld” and I thought “he’s going to fit in here just fine.” Of course, either one fits in this corner of the interweb...

No clue why everyone is telling you to build a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). You already have a rig.

Figure out how to keep your rig at various temps for long periods. Mix up some Bobby Flay Rib Rub (Google search for recipe), coat a butt with it and cook it until the bone pulls out of the butt easily. It's very forgiving and you can play with temp control while cooking.

Nice to see another metal melter on here

Once I get the smoker up to temp, it holds pretty good, I just have to feed it wood every hour or so. That's not bad, for a few hours, but I'm not doing that all night. lol

Yes, metal melter, gluer, burner, etc, etc. Lol

Glad you’re here. I look forward to seeing you develop your Q skills on whatever you end up cooking with!
BTW, at first I thought it was “Dr. Weird” instead of “Weld” and I thought “he’s going to fit in here just fine.” Of course, either one fits in this corner of the interweb...

Oh, I'm a bit a weird, I didn't want to scare everyone off on my first post. lol

Thanks for the welcome..

Welcome to forum and thanks for sharing pics of your cooker, the ribs and chicken look great.

Welcome to the best BBQ forum on the internet. You’ll find that these boys have a wealth of knowledge that they’re happy to share. I learn something new with every visit.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome, Dr, Weld. That stick burner is a beast.
Yes it is. I put it in place with a skid steer. Lol I have to finish the stand, add a shelf in the front, add the grate to the left and make a little stand for the fire box.
Welcome to forum and thanks for sharing pics of your cooker, the ribs and chicken look great.

Thanks. I thought I did decent. Out of 9 racks of ribs, in 4 days I had a half rack left. Lol

Welcome Dr. Weld. Looking forward to more pics and feel free to include some of your nurses.

Will do.. lmao :blah:

Welcome to the best BBQ forum on the internet. You’ll find that these boys have a wealth of knowledge that they’re happy to share. I learn something new with every visit.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s why I joined, was stalking for a bit and figured should I join and share, and learn.

Back