Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker

I am really looking forward to the taste test on the low... And how was the flavor?

Just as good as anything I've grilled on the Bubba Keg. The steak was simply seasoned with Worcestershire, pepper and Montreal Steak. Moist and tender. I'm looking forward to the next cook, whatever catches my attention in the meat or fish market at my local Market Basket.

One plus I found during the day was the ability to easily remove a half grate and add lump.

I was just watching videos posted today on their Facebook page, where they're out in Vegas at a National Hardware show. They were using the divider plate for indirect, with a reverse sear at the end for a tri-tip. Looked good. Not sure I've ever seen a tri-tip here in New England, but the indirect cooking method they show is the reason I bought the optional divider plate.

Too many things to cook, too little time. It's all fun though.

-lunchman

I am interested in how hot you can get it. I do miss the 900 degree steaks on my BGE. Thinking this could be better even if it only gets to 600 or so...... High heat you must burp I am sure like and egg...... Otherwise it's doubles as a hair removal tool.... Lol.

Last edited:
I was looking at these not too long ago. Glad to see they perform well. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the report on this cooker.
I wasn't aware of the Golden's name.
Looked at their website and found a local dealer not far from my house.
I'll have to stop by and check them out.

Thanks all for the kind words.

I'll be doing more cooks on it in the upcoming weeks, will try different grill setup variations. The Goldens' website is www.goldenscastiron.com for those who haven't found it yet.

I've seen a few new products on their Facebook page, namely a CI fire pit in various sizes based on a syrup kettle (I need to look up history on these, they seem interesting) and sauces. These products aren't on the website yet.

After watching their FB videos last night I almost wanted to fire it up again at midnight and grill all night. :-D Somehow I resisted the urge.

Grilling has suddenly become fun again.

-lunchman

That cooker looks great. I bet it would season up nicely if you cooked a couple fatty butts nice and slow. I love me some cast iron cooking surface.

I am interested in how hot you can get it. I do miss the 900 degree steaks on my BGE. Thinking this could be better even if it only gets to 600 or so...... High heat you must burp I am sure like and egg...... Otherwise it's doubles as a hair removal tool.... Lol.

Yes, burping is not rude as they say on their website. I've only been burnt once in my years of grilling and that was due to not gradually opening the cooker (I think it was the Bayou Classic).

I'll get some high heat cooks in over the next few weeks and post reports. I'm anxious to grill some pizza on this!

That deflector\griddle looks quite nice. I wonder if it would fit in an Acorn? Any idea what the dimensions are?

That deflector\griddle looks quite nice. I wonder if it would fit in an Acorn? Any idea what the dimensions are?

Diameter is 16.5" and the tabs add an additional 2".

I have two of them now, since one came with the replacement cooker. The one pictured has a slot in the center so it can be lifted with the grate tool. The second one is completely solid across. I'm not sure which is the newer of the two designs.

Both have a lipped edge on one side, no lip on the other.

Simply posting Friday night dinner prepared on the Goldens' Cast Iron.

I decided to break out the Firewire skewers, thread up some bottom round cubes which I had cut from a roast, thread some small potatoes on another and peppers on yet another, allowing them to be placed on the grill at different times. The portabella mushrooms were sort of an afterthought and it was easier grilling them whole rather than skewering them in small chunks.

Simple seasoning on the beef with Worcestershire, S&P & Montreal Steak. Grill was about 325-350.

Everybody happy out on the grill -

And plated, beef was medium rare -

And served with some Midland Ghost White Pepper Sauce, which I learned about on the Goldens Facebook site -

Thanks for checking out tonite's dinner!

-lunchman

Tastee lookin vittles.When my ceramics finally finish crumbling into themselves,I will definitely consider a Golden.Thank you for taking your time to inform us.

For those keeping up with my postings on this cooker, the Goldens did quite well today for a family outing. Unfortunately, no pics as I had it and the Bubba Keg going for boneless chicken breasts, burgers and dogs. Both grills were keeping me too busy for the camera.

The one new thing I wanted to point out was I used the second tier of grates (one half only) today for the boneless chicken breasts. It worked out well, but was a tad difficult getting under the upper grate to pull out the chicken to flip it. I suppose if I were doing something like ribs that don't need to be turned as often or where the food on the upper grate could be taken off and the grate removed to get at what's on the lower grate, then using them would be easier. They're still useful, don't get me wrong and toasting buns on them turned out fantastic. They definitely have their place and I'm glad to have purchased the second set. The next time I use them I'll remember to take some pics.

I've yet to use the firebox divider or the searing plate. Their time will come. The inside of this cooker has turned a beautiful black and looks wonderful. It holds temps quite well and temp control is not much different than Bubba, meaning it's very straightforward. I'm easily getting accustomed to where to set the top and lower vents to reach the temps I want.

So far, a thumbs up from me.

-lunchman

I finally made use of the firebox divider using it for a reverse sear on a London broil. I set up the grates high on the indirect side, low on the direct.

Some red peppers on the hot side of the grill, Baby Bellas on the indirect -

Some of the ingredients for a red pepper pesto -

Mixed -

I missed some pics as it was starting to rain.

After about 4-5 minutes per side indirect, I moved the steak to the hot side for a quick 1 minute sear each side -

Resting -

Plated, served with roasted carrots, the shrooms and the pesto -

The split firebox divider is a nice design and works quite well. I'll be using it again for future cooks.

I'm liking this cooker more and more.

Thanks for reading.

-lunchman

Back