THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire that grill up as hot as you can get it and sear that bad boy on each side and it's done it's really not rocket science

Kudos to you Rusty. Stepping out of your cfort zone and trying something new. Congrats. Some people will probably cringe at this advice, but I'm going to give it anyways.

Next time, have a sharp knife handy. Skip the indirect and just throw the steak on over a single layer of lit coals. Put the top on and let it cook for about 3 mins. Remove lid, flip, replace lid and cook for 3 more. BTW, this presumes that your next steak is as think as this one.

After the 3 mins, take your knife and make about a 2 inch long cut through the middle of the steak. Long and deep enough so that you can open a bit of a gap and see the insides. This part is important. When cooking a steak hot and fast over direct heat, You really want to pull the steak off about 1 temp below what your desired finish is. If you want medium, then pull the steak when the middle looks mid rare. It will come up one temp while resting.

Also, while cooking, pay attention to the surface color. Also, press down on the steak with tongs or back of a fork to see how it feels at different points of the cook.

After getting a couple of cooks under your belt this way, you should be able to cook them by look and feel in the future, without taking a knife to the.

Once you can tell when a steak is done by look and feel, then mess with reverse searing or other techniques.

BTW, the feeling will be a little bit different depending on the type of steak, but again, knowing the feel will come with experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Impressive. Not sure I'd drop ribeye money, if I didn't like steak. Props to you!

I can't do a steak that is cooked below medium. The texture just ruins it for me. At least if you cook it at home, you can cook it more. I never send food back in a restaurant (well, I do, but as soon as I send it back-I'm done eating) I find at medium it still has some juice to it, and I'm not eating raw meat.

Do you have a sous vide setup? That's a great way to dial in steaks exactly how you want.

Lots of interesting opinions/suggestions. I don't eat steaks every day/week, so when I feel like a steak, whether for just myself (my wife is vegetarian:roll:) or others, I try to accommodate everybody when cooking. I like the rare side of medium rare and only cook ribeyes or occasionally tenderloin, always reverse sear. I have and will always refuse to cook any steak for company well done, unless they let me know in advance that's how they like "steak" and I buy them whatever "steak" is cheapest, usually a sirloin/strip; either that or they pay for the steak and I'll ruin it for them for free.:evil: I should probably downgrade them to chuck! It is true: The more you cook steak, the less flavor is has, particularly with grocery store super trimmed steaks (no fat to melt off for flavor in the meat.)

I've been cooking steaks for 45 years and the best tip I've ever had is the reverse sear method of cooking a good steak, which I got here on this forum and which more than justified being a paid member. It simply makes sense, unless you like rare/super rare steak, which involves little more than "licking the flames" with the meat. The reverse sear (starting the meat on the cool side of the grill [smoking it and baking it] and then searing the meat directly over the flames to finish provides a juicier finished piece of meat, without doubt.

I think you did good for your first steak cook. It seems like everyone has their own idea on the best way to cook steak. My advice is listen to what other have to say and them try some of the different ideas. I will admit that when I try a different way of cooking steak they do not always turn out the way I want. I try to learn from my mistakes and next time do better. I like my steaks med to med rare depending on the cut. I have been doing the reverse sear method and I think it produces a juicier steak. I have tried many steak seasonings and still think that SPOG is the best. Good luck with your future steak cooks.

Going to make steak. I don't know what the heck I am doing. Picked up some ribeye steaks.
I don't know chit about steak. Going to use my weber Go Anywhere. I figure you guys can give me an idea of what to do. Why the heck not?
So I have always liked well done. Not doing that to these ones. Going to try it despite thd idea of eating undercooked beef makes me sick.
So I got some Rufus Teague steak and dippin' sauce. What do I do with it? Got as a free sample at Mason Dixon BBQ in Greencastle, PA. Should I use it?

How should I season it? Salt and pepper?

Medium? Medium Rare? Char the fark out of it? Hockey puck style?

How long per side? Any advice is appreciated. Thank You

I have been wanting to try this ever since I saw Alton do this on TV.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93668

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93460

How thick is the cut 1"? If so get the coals hot 500-600 degrees cook direct each side for about 4 minutes and you should be at medium rare.
Great question.

Personal opinion: if a steak is 1" or thinner it's not worthy of firing up the grill. Get a cast iron pan screaming hot on the stove.

I always reverse sear my steaks and they turn out really good. I cook indirect until I get 115-120 internal and then over the coals for about a minute or two each side.

I usually use Sucklebusters SPG or Killer Hogs AP rub on my steak.

Back