Getting in to bread making.

I love making bread. Believe it or not, it was this site that got me into baking. Sometimes you want that fresh bread to go with the fresh cook from the BBQ. I have a no knead bread recipe that is fantastic. It is what I would call a rustic bread that is cooked in a dutch oven.

Thanks for sharing the recipe - gonna try this real soon. I just hope my buns look as nice as your buns :becky:

Thanks for sharing the recipe - gonna try this real soon. I just hope my buns look as nice as your buns :becky:

Just take your time when forming the buns to get them to look nice.

This was my first shot at making these.

Your rolls look good I haven't had that stuff they try & pass off as bread in the stores in 5 almost 6 yrs.

This is my roll recipe

300 grams warm water
20 grams Honey
6 grams Yeast
40 grams EVOO
60 Grams Whole Wheat Flour
400 + 50 Grams All purpose flour
10 grams salt

In the bowl of a stand mixer dissolve the honey in the water add the yeast and let it hydrate for 5 min add the oil WW flour and 400 grms of AP and Salt

Mix on #2 until smooth add the last 50 grams in 1/3rds until the dough climbs the hook and just barely clings to the bottom of the bowl.

Turn out onto a lightly floured board and shape into a ball lightly oil the mixer bowl place the ball in the bowl turn seam side down cover with a towel and allow to rise 1 hr.

Punch down and gather into a ball
you will have 900 grams of dough
dividing into 8 112.5 gram balls will net 8 5" rolls or 12 75 grm regular sized rolls.

Roll the balls on a clean surface under a cupped hand into a tight ball
coat your hands with shortening and press the balls into disks and place on a greased pan cover with a towel and allow to rise until double

bake in a 400 deg oven for 15 min,

Last edited:
Your rolls look good I haven't had that stuff they try & pass off as bread in the stores in 5 almost 6 yrs.

This is my roll recipe

300 grams warm water
20 grams Honey
6 grams Yeast
40 grams EVOO
60 Grams Whole Wheat Flour
400 + 50 Grams All purpose flour
10 grams salt

In the bowl of a stand mixer dissolve the honey in the water add the yeast and let it hydrate for 5 min add the oil WW flour and 400 grms of AP and Salt

Mix on #2 until smooth add the last 50 grams in 1/3rds until the dough climbs the hook and just barely clings to the bottom of the bowl.

Turn out onto a lightly floured board and shape into a ball lightly oil the mixer bowl place the ball in the bowl turn seam side down cover with a towel and allow to rise 1 hr.

Punch down and gather into a ball
you will have 900 grams of dough
dividing into 8 112.5 gram balls will net 8 5" rolls or 12 75 grm regular sized rolls.

Roll the balls on a clean surface under a cupped hand into a tight ball
coat your hands with shortening and press the balls into disks and place on a greased pan cover with a towel and allow to rise until double

bake in a 400 deg oven for 15 min,

Seems very similar.

Looks great! Ironically I was just saying to my wife the other night that I'd love to have an all home made burger night one night where she makes the buns and I make the burgers. Definitely bookmarking this!

Looks great! Ironically I was just saying to my wife the other night that I'd love to have an all home made burger night one night where she makes the buns and I make the burgers. Definitely bookmarking this!

I found this recipe and thought it looked very easy and it is.

Toast the buns, I forgot. :tsk:

Its seems to be a heavier bread. More dense?

Anything I could do to it?

So, I bookmarked this thread to try, looks like the pics are gone though.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159861

I was thinking the added fats would add to the levity of the bread, but wanted to try for myself.

Your other option is trying one of the egg recipes. My youngest son has an egg allergy, so I have never tried those. Someone posted their results of the King Arthur Hamburger Buns recipe (it has an egg) and it looked pretty darn good, but I can't seem to find that thread, but you can get the recipe on the King Arthur site.

My standard bread recipe is more dense than I would like for buns. It's almost like a ciabatta. When I bake buns though, I do like brushing them with melted butter before cooking. Gives it a nice outside texture and great flavor.

I cant use eggs or nuts for that matter. My son is allergic to those.

Last edited:
oooh, I almost forgot. You can use flax seed meal as an egg replacer and it does a pretty darn fine job in most baked goods recipes.

We use in an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe and you can't tell the difference. Also with sugar and teacake cookies. It also works in those Jiffy Corn Bread muffin box recipe, but you can tell the crumb is off a little. The muffin is more crumbly.

That might work in some of the bun recipes that only call for a single egg.

We bought the Bob's Red Mill whole ground flax seed meal, but it has little specks of the hull which isn't always appetizing. Then we picked up a bag of Golden Flax (Flax USA) from Costco and it has a better grind and so specks, so you get a nicer looking product.

We use Ener-G egg replacer. That's what they sell here for a egg replacer for allergies. We will look for that. Thanks.

Back