THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
While perusing recipes for a new food adventure I'm working on, I was reminded of the Homesick Texan, a marvelous blog by Lisa Fain that is a treasure trove of Tex-Mex recipes.

Beautifully written and photographed, it's been one of my favorite food blogs for a number of years, and given that I hadn't visited for some time, it was refreshing to revisit.

This time around, an adaptation of Aaron Franklin's pinto beans caught my eye. Not surprisingly, smoked brisket is an ingredient:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/07/pinto-beans-aaron-franklin-barbecue.html

I plan on giving this a whirl soon!

I have his book and I have tried his coleslaw recipe but many of my guests thought it was too tangy; no sugar. I haven't tried his beans but they are regular, unsweetened beans so I would say they have to be good because I am not a huge fan of sweet beans. I believe Franklin tries to use the bits of bark an meat pieces that are left over on the cutting board to make his beans. That has to be good!

I have made the beans recipe from his book twice and they were to salty to eat both times. The second time I reduced the salt but it was still to much. It might be the way my brisket was seasoned or I may have simply screwed something up.

I just compared her version to the recipe in the book and it looks like she does reduce the seasoning by quite a bit. Looking forward to see how yours turn out because I do want a good bean recipe.

This isn't 100% on topic, but if I'm eating beans alone as a meal I want them full of fat and salt. So in go the brisket trimmings (fat) and plenty of seasoning. However, if I'm serving beans as a side for heavier BBQ cuts like Brisket & Pulled Pork I want my beans leaner (some would say blander) with less salt and more acidity. This is more a philosophy of eating than anything, but it applies to BBQ too - heavy main courses pair better with leaner sides, else you get fat/richness overload that can make you feel gross after the meal.

Back