From the Homesick Texan: Aaron Franklin's Beans

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
While perusing recipes for a new food adventure I'm working on, I was reminded of the Homesick Texan, a marvelous blog by Lisa Fain that is a treasure trove of Tex-Mex recipes.

Beautifully written and photographed, it's been one of my favorite food blogs for a number of years, and given that I hadn't visited for some time, it was refreshing to revisit.

This time around, an adaptation of Aaron Franklin's pinto beans caught my eye. Not surprisingly, smoked brisket is an ingredient:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/07/pinto-beans-aaron-franklin-barbecue.html

I plan on giving this a whirl soon!

I have his book and I have tried his coleslaw recipe but many of my guests thought it was too tangy; no sugar. I haven't tried his beans but they are regular, unsweetened beans so I would say they have to be good because I am not a huge fan of sweet beans. I believe Franklin tries to use the bits of bark an meat pieces that are left over on the cutting board to make his beans. That has to be good!

I have made the beans recipe from his book twice and they were to salty to eat both times. The second time I reduced the salt but it was still to much. It might be the way my brisket was seasoned or I may have simply screwed something up.

I just compared her version to the recipe in the book and it looks like she does reduce the seasoning by quite a bit. Looking forward to see how yours turn out because I do want a good bean recipe.

This isn't 100% on topic, but if I'm eating beans alone as a meal I want them full of fat and salt. So in go the brisket trimmings (fat) and plenty of seasoning. However, if I'm serving beans as a side for heavier BBQ cuts like Brisket & Pulled Pork I want my beans leaner (some would say blander) with less salt and more acidity. This is more a philosophy of eating than anything, but it applies to BBQ too - heavy main courses pair better with leaner sides, else you get fat/richness overload that can make you feel gross after the meal.

Back