THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a great score! Should bring a lot of fun and delicious meat in your future

after looking at those pics it makes want to build one like it. that thing is sweet!! and you got a heck of a deal

That's an awesome rig. I'm glad you put the young lady in the pic for a size reference. I didn't realize how massive that pit was until I saw her modeling the beast. Keep us posted on the paint & build process.

While I haven't gotten the monster blasted or painted yet, there were a few things to take care of. On Saturday I built a platform even with the trailer height for me to stand on while tending the pit.

jWd7n2E.jpg

It's big enough that I thought about mounting a pole in the middle, but nobody wants to see my moves.

I then cleaned the pit out burned everything good with the weed burner, hit it with simple green and pressure washed. I then got after the inside of the cook chamber with a putty knife and scraped away the very thick layer of dried drippings coating everything.
lbz9xNt.jpg

I built a fire to dry it out, and once it was dry sprayed the inside with pam and cranked the heat a bit. Between the 6" diameter stack and the "collector" that covers pretty much the entire width of the pit, this thing draws really well. It also holds temp a whole lot better than I am used to. Early on the stack end runs about 25 degrees hotter than the firebox end, but once it gets really warmed up temps are with 10 - 15 degrees across the grate, the hot spot being right over the end of the baffle.

This morning I got up at 5 and built a fire,

zizXQGW.jpg

got a butt in the pit at 6:30. It's coming along well.

3WxcEyq.jpg

About a hour ago a good little shower came but the pit didn't lose a whole lot of heat.
kIiiLo6.jpg

I like having this much metal. More to come.

EDIT....Not sure why pictures aren't showing up.....Edited again - figured it out...old man on the internet syndrome

Last edited:
Nice.. all that for under a grand! Is that a 250 gallon?

Closer to 210, it's kind of an odd size but works for me, the grate is 52x31, so with that much width I should be able to do a whole pig.

Foiled the butt about 8 hours in

MTfNoFK.jpg
while it finished cooking I lit my Weber and roasted some Hatch chiles
eDeQ9ko.jpg

pulled it off the pit at about 9 1/2 hours, rested and pulled.
J7IaulZ.jpg

Added a little finishing sauce and slaw and the sammies were awesome
SZKOxwW.jpg

The pit sat at the sandblaster's for almost 2 weeks. He had a lot of work, and we kept getting rain. He was finally able to get it blasted on Friday

0Pw9w7m.jpg

I picked it up and brought it home on my lunch break. When I got home from work Friday evening I blew it off, wiped it down with alcohol and gave it 2 good coats of Rustoleum High Heat brush on. The second coat went on particularly thick.

While it looked good in basic black, it needed a little something more

LxnPXao.jpg

So I got busy being a little artistic
MviKd24.jpg

Once I burn it in to cure the paint, I'll be ready for game day.

Uuk9enE.jpg

Pvehxm0.jpg

Quite the difference.

Back