For those that fear the pellet grill because...

I hear ya! Heck, my wife just reminded me that we need shredded beef for tomorrows nights burrito bowls. Ran out to the fridge, grabbed a couple of chuck roasts… brought them in and applied a little SPG… while that was soaking in I went out and fired up the MAK… 15 mins later I had the meat on the smoker and now it’s time for bed. Would never have done that with another smoker.

Really? I do this all the time with my Traeger. I actually did this about 5 days ago. So what I think you are describing is not endemic to your MAK, but any quality smoker on the market.

Really? I do this all the time with my Traeger. I actually did this about 5 days ago. So what I think you are describing is not endemic to your MAK, but any quality smoker on the market.

He’s not suggesting it’s unique to his MAK but I’ll let him explain.

He said "Would never have done that with another smoker." Sounds just like I described. But, as you said, I'll wait for him to explain what he actually meant

I don't fear pellet grills, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of them. Of the 3 I've been around, one didn't get a lot of use, had an auger jam that had to be cleared out almost every time it was used. Another fad a flame out and a nice little bang that followed. The other one had the board fried in a rain storm and messed up a cook I was supposed to do the next day at my parent's house.

I think nothing is more reliable and set and forget than a drum smoker. Nothing can fail, and it is super easy to get it dialed in and it will hum along for 12 hours plus on a basket of coals without doing anything. Also, I can't think of a much better way to spend a day than sitting outside around a stick burner with some friends drinking beer and hanging out. I don't consider throwing a log or 2 on every hour to be too much of a hassle even when I'm doing other things. It's not like you have to babysit it the entire time.

To each their own though. Whatever pumps out cue that you and your families enjoy and makes you happy!

I have family members that have the GMG's. They have active families and don't really have the time to babysit a drum or stick burner. They produce Q that fits the flavor profile for everybody. Poopers are perfect for them with the remote capabilities.

However, whenever they have the time, or want Q with a little more smoke flavor, they pull out the drum.

A man can never have enough BBQ "tools".

He said "Would never have done that with another smoker." Sounds just like I described. But, as you said, I'll wait for him to explain what he actually meant

He’s not suggesting it’s unique to his MAK but I’ll let him explain.

Meant any other smoker as in anything other than a pellet smoker. All pellet smokers will allow exactly what I did last night. Definitely not a ‘MAK’ thing.

I have family members that have the GMG's. They have active families and don't really have the time to babysit a drum or stick burner. They produce Q that fits the flavor profile for everybody. Poopers are perfect for them with the remote capabilities.

However, whenever they have the time, or want Q with a little more smoke flavor, they pull out the drum.

A man can never have enough BBQ "tools".

Totally agree with you on all of the above. I will never knock anyone for doing something that works for them/they enjoy. Just giving an outside perspective on my experiences with ease/reliability in regards to pellet smokers. I think things get exaggerated in how easy/hard they are on both sides, just all comes down to what each person feels is best

I've had auger jam and flameouts the last 3 times I used my PB Copperhead 5 for overnight cooks. It's extremely aggravating to discover the error in the middle of the night and have to disassemble and fix the jam in the dark. Not fun at all.

When PB Copperhead 5 works, it works awesome and produces great food. But I no longer trust it completely so I dusted off my Big Kamado Joe and WSM to put back into the rotation. I never had any issues with my charcoal smokers. I just hate smelling like smoke after using it.

I've had auger jam and flameouts the last 3 times I used my PB Copperhead 5 for overnight cooks. It's extremely aggravating to discover the error in the middle of the night and have to disassemble and fix the jam in the dark. Not fun at all.

When PB Copperhead 5 works, it works awesome and produces great food. But I no longer trust it completely so I dusted off my Big Kamado Joe and WSM to put back into the rotation. I never had any issues with my charcoal smokers. I just hate smelling like smoke after using it.

Yes, flameouts are aggravating! I’d be doing the same thing (using a different cooker) if in your shoes while I work to figure out the cause behind the flameouts. It’s been years since I’ve had a flameout (knock on wood)… lol.

I get where you are coming from. I got a Copperhead 5 cheap at Satan's Warehouse. It became my favorite cooker for 12 or more months. Then the flame outs became so irritating that I tried to diagnose and replaced the electronics. Those did not wire up the same way and I couldn't work it, so I gave it away free. I REALLY liked the flavor on that thing compared to my current cooker. Just frustrating.

Back