FoodSaver Sale Deceiving

tish

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I just got an email notifying me of a FoodSaver sale of 25% off everything. I wanted to let ya'll know in case someone was thinking about picking up one of these units. But when I went to look a little closer, I was annoyed by what I found.

One of the units they're featuring is the V-2840 in silver and black with one 11" roll as a bonus. They have the regular price before the sale listed as $159.99. So, with 25% off, that would be a sale price of $120 plus tax. Great price, right?

I was told about six weeks ago by a loved one to get the best price I could find, and they'd give it to me as a Christmas gift. So, I was motivated! I went to the site, and this is what I found. They listed the regular price as $149.99 for this same unit, on sale for $129.99 with three 8" rolls, three 11" rolls, and a bonus 11" roll thrown in for good measure. I spoke to a couple different reps because I was having trouble getting the discount online.

The first rep I spoke with clarified a couple things, and then said she could get it for me for $129.99. But the second rep told me he could do even better than that. He ended up getting it for me for $74.99! I also wanted the accessory kit for $39.99. So, it was a total of $121.88 for the FoodSaver unit, the accessory kit, and the seven rolls, with tax included, delivered!!

I asked him why he was able to get so much more off than the other rep, and he told me they run a lot of different discounts, and if the rep you speak to is very knowledgeable, you can do better. A lot of their reps are new and don't know about the better discounts. I thought that was really weird, but I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I copied the pricing information below from my order confirmation email so you could see it. The first prices listed are their regular prices. The second prices listed are what I paid with the discounts. Big difference!

I'm not saying $120 isn't a good price. What I am saying is that if you don't need the FoodSaver right now, you might want to wait a little bit. They might just run a better sale eventually with all kinds of extra stuff thrown in to sweeten the deal. Or ask to speak to a seasoned rep or a supervisor who might know about better discounts. I just happened to get lucky, but now that I know better, I'd never take their listed sale prices at face value. You've got plenty of room for negotiation with these units. Just thought ya'll ought to know. :wink:

Shipping: Standard

Description Price QTY Total

FoodSaver® V2840 $149.99 1 $74.99

FoodSaver® 8” Roll $11.99 3 $0.00

FoodSaver® 11” Portion Pouch Roll $11.99 1 $0.00

FoodSaver® 11” Roll $11.99 3 $0.00

Foodsaver® Super Saver Accessory Kit $72.95 1 $39.99

Subtotal = $114.98
S & H = $0.00
Estimated Tax = $6.90
Order Total = $121.88

Money-Back Guarantee

We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase.

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase from Jarden Consumer Solutions for any reason, you may return your item(s) to us within 30 days of receipt for an exchange or refund of the purchase price.

You may check the status of your order by logging into JardenStore.com.

Once your order is shipped, you will receive a shipping confirmation email with updated tracking information.

Thank you for your order!

Please come and shop with us again -- and save 10% off on your next purchase of $50.00 or more from JardenStore.com.!

Once you get it....... How do you like it ? I might need to pick one up at that price.

I love mine! I use it every time I come home from the store. There's always some kind of meat that is more than I want to have for dinner tonight. If I just put it in the fridge, then I'm gonna have to make it again tomorrow night. I don't always feel like doing that. So, I'll buy larger packages of meat (at lower prices/lb), and just vacusuck the majority of it to put away for another day. No freezer burn.

Reheating the plastic bags in boiling water is a breeze. That's how I've been doing all that pulled pork I made the other day. Packaged it up in several batches, and put some in the vacuum containers I got with the accessory set. Bags went in the freezer, containers in the fridge. I just opened a container about 5 minutes ago. Pulled the little silicon seal on it, and whoosh! You could hear the air rushing back in. Stuff is still fresh and moist. :thumb:

Not to derail... I don't have one yet, but, but I am interested.

Can you cook in the vacuum bags? Ala Sous-Vide?
Some of the set ups They sell for immersion cooking isn't cheap, but I was looking to get other uses out of the food saver if I bought one.

I am sure there are many good results with Foodsaver units.

When I was shopping vacuum sealers I looked at the product and found this site...
http://www.foodsaverblog.com/foodsaver-vacuum-sealer-which-one-to-buy/

Although I never owned a foodsaver to have a bad experience with it, I felt this was enough to get me to look at other units.

Although the Weston unit was much more expensive, I did find it on sale under the Bass-Pro Shops label.

My feeling is that if I am going to spend my money on something, I want something with a good track record.

I am sure that the Foodsaver unit may work fine for most people, but I use about 20 bags a week and even more per week in the warmer seasons.

I know most people do not use that much volume so that is why I looked to see what problems existed with all units before making an investment.

Not to derail... I don't have one yet, but, but I am interested.

Can you cook in the vacuum bags? Ala Sous-Vide?
Some of the set ups They sell for immersion cooking isn't cheap, but I was looking to get other uses out of the food saver if I bought one.

I've never tried putting the bags in water for that length of time, but according to Sous-Vide, although they only recommend their own bags, they say it will work with some other bags, too. They do specifically mention FS by name as one of the bags that will work with their system.

I am sure there are many good results with Foodsaver units.

When I was shopping vacuum sealers I looked at the product and found this site...
http://www.foodsaverblog.com/foodsaver-vacuum-sealer-which-one-to-buy/

Although I never owned a foodsaver to have a bad experience with it, I felt this was enough to get me to look at other units.

Although the Weston unit was much more expensive, I did find it on sale under the Bass-Pro Shops label.

My feeling is that if I am going to spend my money on something, I want something with a good track record.

I am sure that the Foodsaver unit may work fine for most people, but I use about 20 bags a week and even more per week in the warmer seasons.

I know most people do not use that much volume so that is why I looked to see what problems existed with all units before making an investment.

I'm certainly not using mine that much. If you're looking for high level utility, I'd go with a high utility machine, if I were you. I'm not trying to sell FS to anyone.

All I was saying is that if you were already looking to buy one of these machines, realize that they play games with their offers and prices all the time, and whatever prices or deals they put up on their site, you can do better, IMHO. Try calling more than once, and speak to a couple different reps. I got two completely different sets of prices less than an hour apart. I just thought ya'll might find my experience with them interesting if you were already thinking about getting one, and were waiting for a good price.

Back