Food Network's "Next Big Star" winner. Another "Suzy Home Maker" persona.

I hated all of Emeril's shows. And having worked in restaurant kitchens, I know that if they had a real show of what happens in a kitchen, nobody would want to go out and eat. The last few disasters? Like The Hearty Boys, or the woman after that? They are going to do another 'you can do great and healthy meals on a ridiculous budget and in ridiculous times' show. Meals for Four for $10? Yeah, that will sell, just like the Food Network Challenge show.

I wouldn't necessarily say that her bubbliness is contrived. There are people that think Paula Deen's accent and mannerisms are fraudulent as well. Mostly I hear these comments from people that haven't been exposed to different areas of the country.

All I'm saying is that just because yo don't know anyone like them, doesn't mean they aren't real. I have known many people almost interchangeable with Paule Deen, and they weren't putting up a front.

I know that if they had a real show of what happens in a kitchen, nobody would want to go out and eat.

Melissa's show will likely be very popular, as she fits what The Food Network
is selling these days.
I too have worked in Restaurants for many years, and when you have a
6 top order ready to go out...and you drop the well done steak on the
floor....well...you don't have time to recook it.

DDD is a fun show to watch..as long as you don't watch to closely.
The way some of those people handle food is scary...especially when
they do it in front of a TV camera.

I think judging by her background as a MSoft execs wife and a exec herself, that it is a personality that she assumes when she is presenting an image, but, it is less contrived, than just an aspect of how she behaves in certain situations. It is one the things I have hated in the Bay Area, the tendency to have multiple images and personalities based upon what the situation is and who you are dealing with. I would hit it, but, I would make sure to not enjoy it as much as I would normally.

Lately, I have seen some nasty stuff done by the anchors of FN. Double dipping, licked fingers back in the food, raw meat hands touching everything... all from what use to be the "wash your chicken police".

I've seen some nasty things in restaurants and removed myself from them. It doesn't have to be gross. Fortunately, most my time have been in clean operations.

But she's nothing more than what they already have. Cut from the same mold, and she is basically doing what is already being done now. Inexpensive, "easy", "quick" cooking for the working woman. How many shows do they need catering to the working mom or wife?

I kinda disagree (respectfully of course). I think people have to remember what Food Network used to be. It was cooking demo shows all day long and all night long. They did "Live to Tape" and ran them. Now I like to watch interesting cooking demo shows, but when that was all they had on their ratings just sucked. I personally think it all changed with Emeril Live. Emeril (love him or hate him) changed the way we looked at cooking forever. It became not only about cooking demos, but about ENTERTAINMENT. The ratings soared (especially among male viewers who they had never hit before). The other thing that changed Food Network forever was Rachel Ray. I don't like her and I don't like the food she makes usually, but she was the first "non-chef" to really hit it huge. Once they saw how big a market there was for people wanting quick and easy recipes that they could fix on a weeknight after work it changed everything. It led to some BAD ones like Sandra Lee (who WILL kill someone with one of her recipes one day I predict), but what successful anything doesn't lead to knock offs as soon as they can get them? I personally like the variety that they have now with alot of different types of shows.

Melissa is seriously gonna be a better host than some of the others, and while she might be cut from the same cloth as some of the others, she strikes me as much better than Sandy.

Why do they have so many shows targeting working moms and quick easy meals? Who do you think their target market is? Who do you think does 90% of the cooking and shopping in the US? You play to your market. You DO think outside the box on some shows and try to hit the next big thing, but you gotta dance with who brung ya.

Last edited:
The Hearty boys I think was season one. They crapped out. Never thought it was fair that a team won. The lady with the curly hair won the season after Guy Fieri. She basically quit after not liking being away from home. JAG would have won but he lied about his war record.

The year Guy won there was another guy on the show that ended with his own show on Fitness TV. I think his name was Lyon.

I just hope the Australian dude that has ruined Paula Dean and Big Daddy does not get any where near Melissa.

I never liked Emeril live. The audience was just too goofy. The Essence of Emeril is a good show.

Anyone remember Justin Wilson? "A little wine for the pot, a little wine for the cook.".
Chuck

Indeed! Thanks Chuck, still got some of his sauce, I wouldn't eat it though.

(pours one out for his fallen Homey)

I guess I'm in the minority here but I loved Emeril Live. Before him, Food TV was unwatchable. We were hooked on him. It was food entertainment plus I learned a ton of stuff. I still finding myself saying "I dont know where you get your water from, but mine doesnt come seasoned".

260xStory.jpg

We shall see, I always like Sara Moulton's shows. And she has the chops in terms of cooking and teaching. I found her personality to be fine for her programs.

We shall see, I always like Sara Moulton's shows. And she has the chops in terms of cooking and teaching. I found her personality to be fine for her programs.

Same here. I was curious if she is still on FN and/or if Melissa is the replacement.

Well I have pretty much quit watching FN. I will watch 3D and Guy's Big Bite. Nothing else is worth watching.

I think the owners of FN need to ask the judges about their Batting average with The Next FN Star. They are only batting about .100 with Guy being the only one to come through for them. The jury is still out on Aaron...
I would be looking for better talent scouts...

Well I have pretty much quit watching FN. I will watch 3D and Guy's Big Bite. Nothing else is worth watching.

I think the owners of FN need to ask the judges about their Batting average with The Next FN Star. They are only batting about .100 with Guy being the only one to come through for them. The jury is still out on Aaron...
I would be looking for better talent scouts...

I really don't think it is that big a thing to them if the show from the winner tanks.

The ratings for NFNS is why they do it. It gets really good ratings consistently.

Sara has moved to PBS, she took over her mentor's spot. Julia Childs was a huge believer in PBS and being a part of food education accessible to all.

I wouldn't necessarily say that her bubbliness is contrived. There are people that think Paula Deen's accent and mannerisms are fraudulent as well. Mostly I hear these comments from people that haven't been exposed to different areas of the country.

All I'm saying is that just because yo don't know anyone like them, doesn't mean they aren't real. I have known many people almost interchangeable with Paule Deen, and they weren't putting up a front.

That is the reason I use the term "perceived". Whether they are "genuine" or not they have to sell it to the viewers. You can be as "genuine" as can be but if that isn't conveyed and "sold to" the viewer it doesn't matter. I've had exposure to many cultures and areas of this country. Paula Deen comes across to me as genuine. But I just don't get that with this girl that won NFNS. Sorry, but it just looks manufactured. I get very leery of people that can and do cry at the drop of a hat.

Back