THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gadragonfly

Full Fledged Farker
We are visiting my in-laws this weekend so I decided to bring along the new GMG Davy Crockett "tailgater" smoker and smoke a turkey. I started last night with a 12 lb turkey and Oakridge Game Changer brine.

and then this morning I removed the bird from the brine and let it dry in the refrigerator while I set up the smoker using apple and hickory pellets (I couldn't find pecan before this weekend, which is what I would usually combine with apple.). While the smoker got up to temp and stabilized I brought out the bird and rubbed it down with a paste of olive oil and Plowboys Yardbird Rub.

Then placed the bird in the smoker at 225 degrees. (ambient temp was 38 degrees).

I cooked the bird at 225 for 1 hour then bumped the temp up to 325 for an additional 2.5 hours. Bird came out very tender, juicy and flavorful.

The wingtips were a little crispy and perhaps I should have foiled them, but traditionally we go to a Chinese buffet for Thanksgiving dinner so I knew this turkey was going to be used for sandwiches so I wasn't overly concerned about the wingtips. This was a fantastic turkey and I was very pleased with the performance of this little smoker.

Thanks for looking,
Julie

Back