First turkey on GMG Davy Crockett and my first bird using a pellet smoker

Gadragonfly

Full Fledged Farker
We are visiting my in-laws this weekend so I decided to bring along the new GMG Davy Crockett "tailgater" smoker and smoke a turkey. I started last night with a 12 lb turkey and Oakridge Game Changer brine.

and then this morning I removed the bird from the brine and let it dry in the refrigerator while I set up the smoker using apple and hickory pellets (I couldn't find pecan before this weekend, which is what I would usually combine with apple.). While the smoker got up to temp and stabilized I brought out the bird and rubbed it down with a paste of olive oil and Plowboys Yardbird Rub.

Then placed the bird in the smoker at 225 degrees. (ambient temp was 38 degrees).

I cooked the bird at 225 for 1 hour then bumped the temp up to 325 for an additional 2.5 hours. Bird came out very tender, juicy and flavorful.

The wingtips were a little crispy and perhaps I should have foiled them, but traditionally we go to a Chinese buffet for Thanksgiving dinner so I knew this turkey was going to be used for sandwiches so I wasn't overly concerned about the wingtips. This was a fantastic turkey and I was very pleased with the performance of this little smoker.

Thanks for looking,
Julie

Great looking bird Julie... Congrats on your first GMG-DC bird and it looks like you'll be doing more in the future. :clap:

Back