First smoker: WSM or OK Joe's Bronco?

KevinInStL

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
The spring-like weather here in St. Louis has me thinking about being outside again. So of course I’m thinking about BBQing. I’m fairly new to real BBQing, and so far I only have my Weber Kettle. But I’m looking at smokers, trying to decide between an 18.5” WSM and an Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco.

Everyone and their brother has a WSM. They’re apparently very easy to use and easy to hold temp for a long time. There’s a ton of tribal knowledge on using them. But, if I were to get one, I’d want wheels, a better door, a lid hinge, maybe a hanging kit, maybe a Hunsaker vortex plate. So even if I get a used WSM for around $150, I’d be looking at more like $300-400+ by the time I add all the accessories. But, still not bad for a great smoker that’s easy to use, makes great food, will last quite a while, and should be easy to resell if I ever want to upgrade.

On the other hand, the Bronco includes all of those accessories for $300. Plus I saw they went on sale for less than $200 a lot of places last fall…and I could stand to wait if I could get one for that price. Everything I’ve read and watched about the Bronco says that it’s a great smoker that holds temp well and is easy to use. But, it’s only been on the market for a little over a year, so doesn’t have the history or associated tribal knowledge of the WSM, nor does it have the wealth of great aftermarket accessories available for it. Durability is also kind of unknown since there are none in existence that are older than like 14 months. I’m a little concerned that it may rust out quickly, because I see a lot of not-very-old Oklahoma Joe’s offsets on CL that are pretty rusty, at least on and around the firebox.

So what do you think, brethren? Anyone have experience with both the Bronco and WSM?

WSM and Cajun Bandit upgrades. The WSM is porcelain enamel coated. It could sit in the weather for years and not rust if the enamel isn't chipped. I doubt the Bronco could do that.

WSM. I've had mine for 10 years and never had the urge to do any upgrades. Perfect as is. Well, I added a FlameBoss. But that's it.

Don’t know anything about the bronco but I do have 2 WSM smokers.

WSM smokers are well made, easy to use, easy to control temps, produce good results, and seem to last forever.

At the beginning of last year I bought a used 18.5" WSM. Like others here, I found it easy to use and really enjoyed it. I was going to put a hinge on it but soon realized that I would like to have the capacity of a 22.5" and was planning to sell the 18.5". I decided to pass on the hinge as didn't think I would get my money back out of it. I bought a used 22.5" and added a hinge and Hunsaker vortex plate.

So obviously my vote/recommendation is WSM. I would hold off any upgrades for at least 10-12 cooks and see where you want to go from there. As far as wheels, because of the way the WSM comes apart it's very easy to move whenever you need.

By the way, I still have the 18.5", everyone said hang on to it and you won't regret having it. So, a step forward to increasing the herd.

The post above reminded me, Just skip the 18” and go for the 22”

Same story here. Bought an 18 back when that was all they had. Upgraded to a 22 when it came out and love the extra capacity. Kept both to have more capacity for big cooks.

The only additions I made was to bring mine up to the standard features available today, which was adding the factory thermometer on my 18 and adding silicone probe ports on both. The other thing I do is to wrap a flat bungee around the smoker to keep the door tightly sealed.
I also use a iq110 temp controller which makes the WSM a “set it and forget it” smoker.

See yellow bungee and temp controller in photo below.

Last edited:
Weber.

But the 22 over the 18". That extra 4 inches makes a huge difference.
That way your cook grates are interchangeable with your kettle. Assuming it is a 22".
Replacement parts availability will not be an issue with Weber 10 years from now.
If you are not happy with it, resale value holds well on the Weber reputation.

Don't think you would be unhappy with either choice, but since you will be under $400.00, it will not be an investment that will hurt your wallet drastically, should you decide to sell and upgrade.

Good luck.

I have 2 Oklahome Joe's Bronco smokers and am really happy with them. Easy to use and they hold temp well.

I love the wheels and the hinged lid with a gasket is great. Responds quickly to temp adjustments.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I got a WSM 22 as a Christmas Present and I love it!! I looked at the 18 and realized it did not have the extra capacity. I had an old Brinkman Smoke and Grill (ECB) for many years and it was 1 inch smaller than the 18.
I upgraded the Door, the water pan and got the hinge because I realized that it would improve the unit, and dollar wise, it was not that bad. I made a base for it with wheels so I could move it in and out of the Patio easier for doing my cooks. But then again, I love it so much I will have it until...............

So I would strongly consider it because it would be money well spent.

Not knocking the Broncos as I've never used one. But I have a few drum smokers and a couple of WSM's I would pick WSM all day long due to its versatility and longevity.

However, I think you'll be happy with either.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WSM vote here too.

t9vGMCD.jpg

SvGTiJw.jpg

Another vote for the WSM. I'd go with a 22 as the extra real estate comes in very handy. They're bullet proof. The only mod I did with mine is the Cajun Bandit door and I don't regret that one bit. If you want to add the hinge and wheels at some point that's easy enough to do. The only other thing I'll probably do is get a larger charcoal basket at some point and possibly pick up a temp controller for all night piece of mind.

I have an OK Joe Highland and LOVE it. Got it at end of summer from Walmart on sale for $145. Added just a few mods and it smokes beautifully. Easy to wheel around as well.

I've owned a 18 wsm, 22 wsm, and the 18 oklahoma joe bronco. I'd get the oklahoma joe bronco (the pro model if you have the extra coin because it's 20 inchs I believe). The bronco comes with mods that most do to their wsm. Wheels, lid hinge, side table, and hanging rods. Also the bronco holds temps rock solid out of the box because it dosen't have the door which is a con at the same time. It's harder to reload the bronco mid cook because its 1 whole unit where as the wsm has the door. Both are great cookers but I think the bronco is a better buy.

Also check facebook market place and offer up for deals on both smokers.

I love my WSM 22.5" and wouldn't trade it for anything. At the same time if you could get the Bronco for under $200 I might would go that route just because of saving money. I find it hard to believe that anything can cook better than the WSM and definitely go for the 22" for the extra capacity. It may eat more fuel, but the capacity is so worth it when you need it.

Back