First rotisserie turkey in a few years.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Sticking with my recent “do everything on the performer” mindset I decided to dig out the rotisserie attachment for this years bird. We also decided to get a fresh bird from our local butcher which we haven’t done in 15-20 years.

We brined for 13 hours, left uncovered in the fridge overnight, put a garlic herb butter both under and on top of the skin, and kept it in the 300-350°f temperature range until done (~2:15). There was half a quart of Yuengling beer and water in the pan. The turkey turned out every bit as good as a butterball but a little bit more hassle with the brine. I used Alton Browns truss method this year which works way better than the method I was was using in the past. It was easy to do and everything stayed where it should have.

5377-E5-F5-F499-4-E01-9-DBC-6-FA38-B4-A1-E29.jpg

This was also my first cook with a Meater Plus which I bought just for the occasion. I used my old iPhone 6s as a WIFI link so I could monitor the cook from inside my house using my current iPhone. It was extremely intuitive to use, and actually had short videos that would pop up in the app that literally showed how to do every step of the way. It told me to pull the turkey a handful of degrees before I normally would but I decided to trust it and brought the turkey in the house and let it rest until the Meater app told me it was done resting and ready to carve.

The bird was cooked perfect. I’m still going to use the Meater a few more times until I trust it, but this time pulling it a little early was the right call.

Last edited:
Looks great!

Timely post - I'm starting mine in a couple of hours doing pretty much the same thing. First time trying a Rotisserie Turkey. Trusty old Weber Kettle with a chunk or 2 of fruit wood for smoke. Drip pan underneath with water and basic veggies.

Fingers crossed.

Looks great!

Timely post - I'm starting mine in a couple of hours doing pretty much the same thing. First time trying a Rotisserie Turkey. Trusty old Weber Kettle with a chunk or 2 of fruit wood for smoke. Drip pan underneath with water and basic veggies.

Fingers crossed.

I bet it will turn out great! Enjoy!

Back