First rib cook on new smoker and first runaway fire (Pron)

Also, sometimes you just need to stoke the fire a bit to get it hotter or introduce a little more air and keep everything burning, instead of needing to add more wood. If you do get out of hand, just leave the doors open a bit as someone suggested till it comes back down some instead of yankin it all out.

On the larger splits, are you sure they are fully dried? If you cut a split and it catches, it may mean the insides are fully dried and can catch but the outsides still have some moisture.

You'll learn just the size you need of split to not jump too high but keep the temp going. Pit looks beautiful back there. I bet that neighbor next to you is super jelly with that nice smoker peeking over the fence teasing him.

Thanks Zanna. That neighbor is the black sheep of the street. Doesn't take care of his place unless the HOA sends him a letter. :evil:

Got a fire going now, slowing rising through the low 200*'s. Taking my time as I am playing with it a little before I need to do some sausages later. Had the fire going and a couple tiny splits on and flaming, closed the door (intake open) and started seeing smoke out the exhaust after a couple mins. Cracked the door about an inch and the smoke went away.

Why does that always have to happen?! The guys behind us abandoned their house and some company bought it out of foreclosure and lease it. Unfortunately, the last tenants moved out like a month ago and a smoke alarm has been beeping ever since, the company still hasn't come out to look at that darn thing :evil:

Also, let that temp ride sometimes. There are extremes, but most of the time just let it ride some. Small damper adjustments at the fire end are all you need.

Back