First pr0n from the UKS

Smokin Turkey

is Blowin Smoke!
OMG! This UKS (Ugly Keg Smoker) is working beautifully! It stays solid at 225-228* F. I smoked a 7.5lb butt and 2 fattys!

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. I used my new picture cell phone.

The butt I injected with a blend of cider vinegar, olive oil, worcestershire, and pressed garlic. I then used a garlic, pepper, cilantro, salt rub. I smoked it for 13 hours 'till we got a 190 on the internal temp probe. I let it rest for an hour and shredded and mixed in Sweet Baby Ray's maple BBQ sauce.

pulledpork2.jpg

pulledpork3.jpg

pulledpork1.jpg

The fattys I made with 1lb each of deli ground sausage rolled out with phili cream cheese smeared in it. One fatty I caramelized a yellow onion in butter and spread it in and then used about a 1/2 cup of mexican cheese blend. The other I used pepperjack cheese instead of the onion. I left it to rest for nearly an hour before slicing and serving on a hamburger bun.

fatty1.jpg

fatty2.jpg

fatty3.jpg

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a Fatty sammich.

It all looks great.

Do you have any more pics of the UKS? Curious to see this in full frontal.:mrgreen:

That is one good lookin' cooker. Those fattys look GREAT. I did a couple like them this weekend as an experiment and they came out great.

I'm thinking of some MODs I need to make.

-Heat. I need to rethink the fire basket. The one I have works but I think I need to do something to get the fresh air inlets under the basket. I'm thinking I will make a wider ring on the bottom and sit this basket on it to test the theory that this will help me get into the higher temps. I would like to see this hit 300 but as of now it gets to 225 and stays like a rock.

-basket shaker mod. I have an idea of using a long ss eyebolt with a washer and spring to make this a bump shaker (push in and the spring returns it) I already have a few extra parts that come from the keg valve i am working to incorporate.

-Legs. I want to put legs or wheels on this to get it a little higher from the ground. Because this is a demo grill, I also want to get in as many accessories as possible. (Make this customizable for the customer)

This grill has been met with great enthusiasm from the customers who have seen it. 2 of the local fire Depts look like they will be the first purchasers. I am looking though for a reliable supplier of KEGS for the customers who can't supply thier own.

A basic KEG smoker includes :
-One air intake
-ss water pan
-Remote digital temp (smoker and meat)
-Personalized grill grate
Customer supplies the KEG and the price is $250.

I was worried about the ride home with a smoker in the cab of my truck (in the passenger seat) with being an overpowering smell of smoke. The truth is, with the orrigional plastic keg cap in place and the air inlet valve closed, i had no smoke smell. To see if I was just imune to the smell, i left it in the truck overnight and came out to see if I smelled anything. All I could smell was the new leather smell of my truck and some stained wood shelves I had in the back. AMAZING!

For customizations - I have in mind using spacers and ss allen bolts to put some personalizations on the front such as a logo or name. This could also act as a heat shield from small hands. I also thought about offering a polished keg option. (think chrome keg) I have thought about a cover accessory but who wants to cover something as cool looking as this!

I actually had some old'timers come up to me at my last show to ask if I was making wiskey in it and would I make them and old fashioned distilery from one! lol.

I have a keg at home that was left behind from the previous tenant, I see a project in the works!! Right now I am hauling around a UDS on the back of my camper but am thinking a UKS would be easier to handle and would be just about the right size.

Off to find the build thread!!

LOL! Just email me through my website or PM me here. Either is ok.

I have a supplier of kegs in the works if you are interested in me supplying a keg. The extra cost of a keg supplied by me would be in the neighborhood of $130. This keg would have a papertrail and be legit. IT also would have some imperfections and dents. I would pick the finest from the lot but these KEGS i have available to me for purchase are defective for some reason.

I am thinking of my next meal. Any suggestions?

Back