First Issue with the PBC

that was 2 big picnic roasts and 5 racks of bb ribs, I do remember that cook taking a good while but everything came out great and was finished on the pbc

I went and got another pork shoulder that is in the smoker now. I made a few changes:

1. I used a new bag of charcoal.
2. After dumping the lit coals into the basket, I let it go for 15 minutes with the lid off.
3. I hung it on one side instead of across both pieces of re-bar (at an angle).

I have my temp probe measuring the pit temperature and after 2 hours it is at 282. If I see it drop, I will crack the lid for a bit.

I went and got another pork shoulder that is in the smoker now. I made a few changes:

1. I used a new bag of charcoal.
2. After dumping the lit coals into the basket, I let it go for 15 minutes with the lid off.
3. I hung it on one side instead of across both pieces of re-bar (at an angle).

I have my temp probe measuring the pit temperature and after 2 hours it is at 282. If I see it drop, I will crack the lid for a bit.

Best of luck. Everyone seems to have a method that they like best, and if it works for them then that's all the matters. With regard to those who use the chimney method it seems that most folks will do it one of three ways:
- Follow the PBC videos and after dumping the coals from the chimney into the coal basket immediately add their food, close the lid and start cooking.
- Dump the coals from the chimney as described above, put the lid on and wait 15 to 20 minutes before adding food.
- Dump the coals, leave the lid off, and wait 15 - 20 minutes before putting on their food and closing the lid.

Each method works for some folks and causes problems for others.

I mainly use the charcoal starter method and after 15 minutes will either add the food, close the lid and start cooking, or close the lid and finish my meat prep and put it on within less than 10 minutes.

what he said ^^^^
and I never push down on the lid, only when finished. leave the lid on just enough to sit on the rolled lip edge. you might see a wisps of smoke coming out. and always fresh coal with the left over going to the weber.
good luck!

Back