First Guyto... sharpening?

rus_bro

Full Fledged Farker
So a few nights ago after a couple bourbons and some nyquil, I jumped on a restocking of the Daovua Leaf Spring Gyuto ... its a 240MM knife made in Vietnam out of leaf springs and is a real good price.

This is my first Japanese style knife and im wondering if my sharpening stone is sufficient.

Currently i sharpen all of my own knives w/ a pretty cheap 1000/4000 grit stone
https://www.amazon.com/Whetstone-Sharpening-Stone-1000-4000/dp/B01FXK7XF6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545317056&sr=8-5&keywords=sharpening+stone+1000%2F4000

I get a pretty good edge on em, but wondering if i should upgrade my stone game with the new blade?

That's a pic of the knife that I'm eagerly awaiting...
90849f7f2d3ad7f529e8daea49a89dfc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In many cases a knife doesn't need "sharpening", which removes metal, as much as
just re-aligning the edge with a steel or strop.

I steel my knives atleast a couple times a week usually, but i usually like to hit them with the stones every 2 or 3 months to get them back to REALLY sharp.

I have never thought about getting a Strop instead of actually using the stones.

rb

My final stone is a hard Arkansas stone. That's what you need for finishing up. I use a strop from time to time but usually I am too lazy.

i think im mainly wondering because its been said that out of the box they can use a little run on the stone to get a razor edge.

Wondering if my 4000 grit would accomplish that.

rb

4000 grit is plenty. Most sharpen kitchen knives to 3000. A polished edge may be sharper but that doesn't mean it will perform better in a kitchen situation. You get better bite from a lower polish.

What Lawnguy said. I prefer water stones over oil stones - just because. ;-)
I use water with my DMT stone, but have never used actual water stones. Japanese, right? I have heard that they are softer & hence hard to keep flat. True or not?

I use water with my DMT stone, but have never used actual water stones. Japanese, right? I have heard that they are softer & hence hard to keep flat. True or not?

They last a good while. You keep them submerged in a plastic covered container, and they pretty much heal themselves. There are also sharpening guides around that can be used to minimize the wear and tear.

"Quite a while" means several years, especially since you'll usually be using a honing steel, and only doing real sharpening occasionally.

Check out the online Lee Valley catalog. They should have plenty of info about them.

They sell truing stones to keep them flat.

Not sure of the thickness of that blade, but the weight is pretty light. That combined with the HRC capability of 5160...I would not be using a steel to hone that knife.

Depending on the polish of the blade, your 4000 stone may be adequate. Just be sure of the angle and have at it. It's a beginner gyuto...don't mind experimenting on it.

Not sure of the thickness of that blade, but the weight is pretty light. That combined with the HRC capability of 5160...I would not be using a steel to hone that knife.

Depending on the polish of the blade, your 4000 stone may be adequate. Just be sure of the angle and have at it. It's a beginner gyuto...don't mind experimenting on it.

Im still new to the Gyuto game, what would u use to hone it?

rb

I have chosera stones. They don't dish easily. You pay for what you get with water stones. Cheap stones are soft and will dish easily. Which means you have to flatten more often and eventually break.

I don't see ever having to replace the Chosera stones. Mine are like new after years of use. I check for flatness before every sharpening session and have to remove very very little. I use a diamond stone for that.

Good stones will sharpen faster too. I usually sharpen about every 3 to 4 months just to keep them screaming sharp. Once you use a thin well balanced carbon steel Japanese Gyuto that will literally fall through food,theirs no going back. My wife won't touch my knives because she's afraid of them. Every once in a while she will use one and dam near every time she cuts herself. Little nick most times. I have done it myself.

You don't even feel it until you see blood on the board. :grin:

Also I never use a sharpening steel. I use a ceramic rod. Much easier on the blade and only used to straighten the edge. A few quick strokes on each side and your back in business. With high hardened steel you risk chipping the blade with a sharpening steel. Like Cook mentioned above.

If you use water stones to sharpen you will need a way to flatten the stones or you will have trouble setting a good edge.

Waiting for your review when you get the knife. I think your going to like it.

Not true. If its a cheap stone yes. Cheap stones will cut slower and load faster and dish faster.

Im still new to the Gyuto game, what would u use to hone it?

rb

Strop it...either leather, or believe it or not, just use a piece of cardboard. Seriously, thick paper is sturdy enough to stand up to a little pressure & it will straighten your edge.

A ceramic rod, as suggested above, is another great option.

A steel will chip a thin, brittle edge.

Got the knife in... It's pretty light and I actually love the size... It's my first chef knife over 8".

It's very rustic and so far I love the knife... It's my kinda tool...

Used the 4000 grit to true up the edge and it's pretty damn sharp at the moment, but iv got a ceramic rod and a strop to get that polished edge.

c39fb5b139facb6b49d770d2c53b02d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
That's a sweet looking knife. Love the natural colors and the handle.

Thanks Lawnguy.... I actually hit the handle w/ a spray of mineral oil after the sharpening / cleaning of the knife... didnt make much of a difference but im trying to keep it that nice natural dark wood color.

rb

Back