First Go at Tri Tip

I did Tri Tip #2 tonight. This one's from a different butcher. a bit larger than the one in the OP. I didn't take pics. Sorry.

Just updating to say... Man, have I been missing out.

That looks great. I love tri-tip because it's such a quick, easy smoke and the meat is fantastic. You actually made me hungry looking at this picture!

Funny how tri-tip is a rarity in certain areas. You can't swing a dead cow here in SoCal and not hit every store that sells tri-tip. It's a weekly thing for me...,.

Sale

Funny how tri-tip is a rarity in certain areas. You can't swing a dead cow here in SoCal and not hit every store that sells tri-tip. It's a weekly thing for me...,.

Sorry for the late post but Smart and Final has them for 4.99/lb trimmed and sale ends Tuesday...

only place I can find them on the reg in Central PA is at Wegmans at a crazy mark-up. Typically $25+ each. So, I'll grab one, they're vac sealed, bring it home and DBL vac seal it (just in case you know) and into the fridge for a few weeks. When it's go-time I prep with with some kosher salt and Oakridge Santa Maria in the AM. Onto the Performer with Vortex, and a bunch of wings that have been swirling in Chiavettas for a few hours. Add in some elotes, red beans and rice, lots of libations of course ... we all happy!

My wife was at Wegmans last weekend and she sent me a pic of one in their meat case.
It was over $3.00 a pound more than what I had paid from a butcher the weekend before.

Butcher was $10.69 a pound and Wegmans was $13.99.

Back