First cook using all wood on the M1.

70monte

is Blowin Smoke!
I decided to cook a slab of St. Louis style ribs the other day and decided I had time to do the cook with all wood.

I had some bags of wood that I had gotten at the local grocery store and some of the B&B wood from Academy. The wood from the local store were mini splits about 7.5-8" long and a little bigger around than a soda can.

I got a full chimney of lump going and used that as my base and then added two of the mini splits on it. The temps went up to about 269 before I put the ribs on. My lower vent was all the way open and the upper vent was about 3/4 open. I would put two new splits on about every 45 minutes to an hour and when the temp would drop to the high 230's to low 240's.

I had a couple of times where after putting the splits on, the wood would not catch fire very well and I had to open the door for several minutes before it would catch and the temps would only get about 248 or so before dropping down. My coal base was probably not as big as it needed to be. I finally started leaving the upper vent all the way open as well and at one point put an extra split on the pile to try and get the ribs done.

The total cook took almost 7 hours but the ribs turned out excellent.
Zv1PTrXl.jpg

qpFMozxl.jpg

ZMzPfrUl.jpg

Nice!

I have found leaving the stack all the way open and the intake all the way open and using smaller splits helps me maintain 275-300..but I do struggle keeping it at 250-275 as it wants to run away from me. I’m about a split every 40-45 minutes also. I’ve lost my coal base a few times and use tiny splits from the kindling cracker to build it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Once you really learn the m1 you can use splits to control temp. Don’t stress 10 degrees either way. When I first started all wood I left the intake wide open and adjusted the exhaust for temps. It help everything catch faster and kept a good coal base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. As far as pit temps go, as long as the pit will stay in the 250-300 range, I'm okay with that. I prefer 250-275 but sometimes that just doesn't happen.

I think the coal bed issue came down to the splits I was using were on the smaller side and I would have had better luck with some that were bigger. I used the entire bag of the grocery store splits so I will be using the B&B splits next time which are longer.

Overall it went pretty good for my first time stick burning.

Good looking ribs :clap2:

Coincidentally I did some ribs on my OG M1 last weekend - first time using water in the pan and temps were in the 225-250 range. Usually all my all wood cooks are 250-275. I fed a couple small apple sticks every 30-45 mins or so, door intake and exhaust always open.

Back