First cook on the Weber Summit Kamado E6

STLBBQer

is one Smokin' Farker
383C8147-4279-42D1-86AE-567A35097FBB.jpgFirst cook today! Went with a whole spatchcocked chicken and some extra legs. Really enjoyed the cook. Summit Kamado really feels quality. Easy to control temps. That being said, the diffuser is no joke! I like to start my chicken at ~325 and ramp to 400+. With the diffuser and water pan that wasn’t happening! Next chicken cook I will likely go no diffuser. Makes me feel very confident for pork butt or brisket in future though. Absolutely zero smoke leaks. Loving it.

Getting a $350 discount off of like new sealed the deal, but even at $1049 MSRP new I think the quality is worth it.

My 26”, PK Grill, and PBC are likely getting sold soon. ����

I think it's worth trying the diffuser without the water pan. Kamados typically don't need them.

PS where do I buy an E6 with a $350 discount. :)

I think it's worth trying the diffuser without the water pan. Kamados typically don't need them.

PS where do I buy an E6 with a $350 discount. :)

Think you might be right! My wife said it was the juiciest grilled/smoked chicken she’s ever had. Still adjusting from kettle cooking!

I got lucky, lucky, lucky. Guy about two hours from me cooked on it once and decided charcoal/bbq wasn’t for him. Super nice guy. I picked it up Saturday.

Sounds great. I do r smoke in my weber summit, but I doubt one would need a water pan due to the design. I cook chicken raised direct over the coals (coals in the lower position) and prefer chicken like that over smoked on my offset I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds great. I do r smoke in my weber summit, but I doubt one would need a water pan due to the design. I cook chicken raised direct over the coals (coals in the lower position) and prefer chicken like that over smoked on my offset I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great insight! Probably my favorite thing is learning a new cooker. I didn’t think anything would ever replace my PK, but this is it.

Congrats on the E6 and thanks for sharing the cook and pics!

I also have a PK, some kettles, a WSM, a small BGE, and some others. I keep thinking of consolidating to the summit kamado, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. You like it a lot more than your others?

Congrats on the E6 and thanks for sharing the cook and pics!

I also have a PK, some kettles, a WSM, a small BGE, and some others. I keep thinking of consolidating to the summit kamado, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. You like it a lot more than your others?

It’s a good question, and I might not be qualified to answer based on one cook. That being said, before I got it my wife and I had agreed/compromised that I’d sell my PK Grill, 26” Weber Kettle, and Pit Barrel Cooker if it felt like a replacement. I have to be honest and say it does. I would still have my WSM, Blaz’n Grand Slam, and Weber gasser alongside the new WSK. I think my needs will be met and then some.

It doesn’t feel like it’s necessarily as good as having all of them, but I want to downsize and free up space on patio, so it’s perfect for that. Not as much space as a 26”, but it’s close. Better insulation than my PK. Can smoke like my PBC, but I already have my WSM with rib hanger and Vortex to handle that anyway. It does feel very premium. Really enjoyed my first cook on it.

It’s a good question, and I might not be qualified to answer based on one cook. That being said, before I got it my wife and I had agreed/compromised that I’d sell my PK Grill, 26” Weber Kettle, and Pit Barrel Cooker if it felt like a replacement. I have to be honest and say it does. I would still have my WSM, Blaz’n Grand Slam, and Weber gasser alongside the new WSK. I think my needs will be met and then some.

It doesn’t feel like it’s necessarily as good as having all of them, but I want to downsize and free up space on patio, so it’s perfect for that. Not as much space as a 26”, but it’s close. Better insulation than my PK. Can smoke like my PBC, but I already have my WSM with rib hanger and Vortex to handle that anyway. It does feel very premium. Really enjoyed my first cook on it.

Thank you! That all makes sense to me. I'm in a similar boat...it's easy to just hang on to what I have, which has really started sprawling. And I'm not using all of it, obviously. Going from many to fewer while getting a chance for a nice upgrade with the E6 is super tempting....

Thank you! That all makes sense to me. I'm in a similar boat...it's easy to just hang on to what I have, which has really started sprawling. And I'm not using all of it, obviously. Going from many to fewer while getting a chance for a nice upgrade with the E6 is super tempting....

So that’s my situation in a nutshell. My grills/smokers are starting to look like people lined up waiting to get into a club. :razz:

Back