First cook on the Primo

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Rainy, windy, and snowy here in Michigan, but I received the last accessories from UPS today, so HAD to try out the Primo xl400. Didn't want to experiment with a good cut of meat, so I decided to try something new for me. A grilled vegetable salad. I used onion, bell pepper, squash, asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes. I set the grill up to do direct and offset. Used the firebox divider, and filled just one side. I put the veggies on with the more dense first, and saved the tomatoes til last. Got a good char on each and then moved them over to the deflector side to finish. Mixed them in a bowl with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and parmesan. The final step was to cut left over smoked pork loin into steaks and put them on to get a bit of a crust on them. I had to open the grill several times to move the veggies, so keeping a constant temp was a challenge, but I think a good experience. Pretty sure I'll be able to keep it pretty accurate when I don't have to open the lid. With all of that said, the one mistake I made was putting too much lump in the chimney to start. Had a pretty hot fire toward the end. Will definitely consider one of the wax firestarters in the future. I've got to say, the vegetables were off the charts. The flavors were stronger than anything I've done in the past. I'm really liking this cooker. Heading out tomorrow to find a whole turkey for the experiment!

get yourself a plumbers touch and start the lump in the cooker.

I think you shocked your brothers with talk of veggies. I am sure Ron L was thinking it needed to go to the Jokes section but couldn't find the punch line. :twitch:

Congrats on breaking it in now get some fatty cut of meat and really get her dirty :clap2:

Thought about the reaction after I posted it, LOL. I've had it for a week waiting for the plates. On the plus side, I know those thick grilled onions are going to make the next cheeseburgers special!

Back