First comp this weekend

smallblock406

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
First competition this past week. We didn't place in the top three so I don't know how our scores fit yet. Would you critique my brisket box? When I was first slicing it I thought it was damn near perfect. It was juicy, folded over my finger and pulled apart easily. Ten minutes later it looked a little dry in my turn in box.

I was going to take pictures of the other turn in boxes but it was a little more hectic than I was planning for the first turn ins and I forgot to snap pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 197
Nice looking box. One comment -- a lot of the cooks like to square off the ends of the brisket, giving it a uniform appearance. I can't tell by the picture if you brushed with au jus or your secret recipe.

Dunking your slices in au jus just before placing them in the box will not only help them look moister but also give them a better chance for taste score.
Ed

Never even thought about making an au jus. I trimmed the sides up before cooking. Should I have trimmed a little more off? I injected with beef broth and used the broth for the binder before I put rub on.

Never even thought about making an au jus. I trimmed the sides up before cooking. Should I have trimmed a little more off? I injected with beef broth and used the broth for the binder before I put rub on.

This is what I was alluding to in squared off ends. I see these entries a lot.

kZiFcB7.png

This is what I was alluding to as far as thickened au jus being brushed on, or dipped.

7nJF570.jpg

The meat looks dry, and I think the burnt ends look better with the bark showing.

As far as squaring off after cooking vs. trimming to size, I think trimming to size looks better. I trim my flat to 7" wide and it generally fits the box well. The top box in Okie's post above was trimmed to size. You can see smoke ring on the ends of the slices as well as the top.

As far as squaring off after cooking vs. trimming to size, I think trimming to size looks better. I trim my flat to 7" wide and it generally fits the box well. The top box in Okie's post above was trimmed to size. You can see smoke ring on the ends of the slices as well as the top.

Thanks Ron, I'll learn the comp cooks terminology one day. I should have known this from watching the Butcher BBQ brisket video.

Back