Final 3 - Time to pick - Shirley, Lone Star and Workhorse

I've owned a 20x42 LSG for a bit over a year now. Have no experience with the other manufacturers but can speak to mine. I've been quite happy with the performance and versatility. With the gas assist my fire is started in less than 10 and pit is stabilized within 30 min. The two zone cooking allowed by the upper rack is nice as well. Finally the fire box griddle plate and direct cooking are fantastic. This more than anything pushed me to the LSG. I love the ability to slow cook on the smoker portion then sear on the firebox side. It's basically given me the ability to smoke, grill and griddle. I still use my dedicated griddle for larger cooks but the LSG has 100% replaced my BGE.

If the option to cook on firebox side is appealing then the choice is obvious. If it's not then all three are great choices.

Here's a few pics just for fun :clap2:

Attachments

• TH 2.jpg
    TH 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 156
  • beef ribs 3.jpg
    beef ribs 3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 156
  • steak 1.jpg
    steak 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 154
  • pizza 1.jpg
    pizza 1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 150
  • pork steak 2.jpg
    pork steak 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 151
  • hw6.jpg
    hw6.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 153
If wait time is a factor then you likely won't want to go with Shirley. I believe they are 36 months out right now. LSG is 5-6 months depending on the pit. I would assume Workhorse it's even less.

I upgraded to a 1969 recently and am very very happy. Draws beautifully with good clean smoke effortlessly. Maintains temps as advertised. Lead times have gotten longer i think… I was told 3 but waited 6 months.

Shirley and Workhorse are certainly better quality than LSG. Having owned LSG before I would go with a Workhorse, Gator Pit or other before going with LSG again. LSG certainly was not bad, but not in the same league as the others.

Back