FEC-100 Legality Question

All,

I confirmed this information with Cookshack before posting.

KCBS did make that ruling about "not enough heat" but more importantly.

As of a few years back, the Ignitor Restart feature was removed from the IQ. The only way for the ignitor to come back on is to turn the system off and turn it back on. No auto-relight feature any more.

Russ

All,

I confirmed this information with Cookshack before posting.

KCBS did make that ruling about "not enough heat" but more importantly.

As of a few years back, the Ignitor Restart feature was removed from the IQ. The only way for the ignitor to come back on is to turn the system off and turn it back on. No auto-relight feature any more.

Russ

Your last statement is not true. Just saw a new pit with the auto relight built in. I think it is build 46 or something like that. When you pit turns on, it flashes the eprom build on the screen.

Thank you all for the information, even though some of it is contradictory. As suggested, I have eMailed Karen to try to get official documentation. Even if Auto-Relight is configurable or always off, this may apply to Traeger or Country Smokers or W'Ham, etc.

For the record, just so ppl don't think I'm being a sh!t disturber, I just want to make sure that *I* am within the rules with whatever I do. I am not trying to say that FECs should be illegal because of this, but the rule, as stated, seems pretty straight forward to me, and if there is an exception, I would like to understand it. I think an auto-ignitor could be okay, but I could also see some one saying that it makes it just too easy, or whatever.

Thanks again!

dmp

The ignitor on the FE is like sticking your tongue on a 6V battery. There is absolutley no production of heat for the pit. It was determind that way, I want to say 2 years ago by the board.

hmm - I did not know about the lighter coming back on. My biggest fear is not lighting the pellets - thanks everyone on the advice on how to lite it. I need ot buy some gel for a back up.

For the record, just so ppl don't think I'm being a sh!t disturber, I just want to make sure that *I* am within the rules with whatever I do. I am not trying to say that FECs should be illegal because of this, but the rule, as stated, seems pretty straight forward to me, and if there is an exception, I would like to understand it. I think an auto-ignitor could be okay, but I could also see some one saying that it makes it just too easy, or whatever.

Thanks again!

dmp

I know that you are saying that, but you are getting into the "thick of thin things". This is about the smallest level of detail to even be concerned about. Let's be careful not to force our rules to become mired in statutory regulation that a cook needs to hire "representation" at the cooks meeting. Everyone here seems to be content with the position that KCBS has dealt with it and doesn't consider it an issue. If you need more than that, by all means, go ask and even report back. However, we members need to be mindful of how much we are stirring the pot whether we intend to or not. There are probably thousands of comp cookers here on the BBQ Brethren, and unfortunately, we like to pile on more than we should. Keeping the fodder low, lessons the frequency of the mob mentality.

I just had to put that out there. I'm hoping for a calmer 2010 from the members. We need to tone it down a little. We blame the BOD for carrying on, but the membership is often worse.

I know that you are saying that, but you are getting into the "thick of thin things". This is about the smallest level of detail to even be concerned about. Let's be careful not to force our rules to become mired in statutory regulation that a cook needs to hire "representation" at the cooks meeting. Everyone here seems to be content with the position that KCBS has dealt with it and doesn't consider it an issue. If you need more than that, by all means, go ask and even report back. However, we members need to be mindful of how much we are stirring the pot whether we intend to or not. There are probably thousands of comp cookers here on the BBQ Brethren, and unfortunately, we like to pile on more than we should. Keeping the fodder low, lessons the frequency of the mob mentality.

I just had to put that out there. I'm hoping for a calmer 2010 from the members. We need to tone it down a little. We blame the BOD for carrying on, but the membership is often worse.

Very well said!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

AMEN Brother.

Anyone interested in the technical details of exactly how a partically cooker works ought to contact the maker directly - in this case Fast Eddie Maurin.

I wanna hug you man!

Well said Todd. I had let this die down until I got more information, but then the discussion over the auto-ignite feature started back up. For the record, if I had an FEC, I would not be asking too much, as they are used everywhere. I am building my own pellet feed, version 2.0, and if I choose to install an auto-ignite, I'd like to know what is or is not allowed. If I had an FEC, I could say "Todd and Scottie a few sites down use them" or whatever, and I bet all would be kosher, but if it is a custom auto-igniter, I feel I need to know what is allowed, regardless of what the rules say.

Thanks again,

dmp

I think perhaps the horse, the cow, the goat and the pig are not really dead (an who really knows where that cat is.) I love to watch people keep stirring the pot. This is the most interesting post on the web. I think I love it so much is because I still watch Seinfeld reruns about nothing.

Well said Todd. I had let this die down until I got more information, but then the discussion over the auto-ignite feature started back up. For the record, if I had an FEC, I would not be asking too much, as they are used everywhere. I am building my own pellet feed, version 2.0, and if I choose to install an auto-ignite, I'd like to know what is or is not allowed. If I had an FEC, I could say "Todd and Scottie a few sites down use them" or whatever, and I bet all would be kosher, but if it is a custom auto-igniter, I feel I need to know what is allowed, regardless of what the rules say.

Thanks again,

dmp

If that was your goal, perhaps it would have been better to ask "If I put an autoignitor in the pellet smoker that I am building, will that be legal at a KCBS competition?" instead of questioning the legality of the FEC-100. We may have ended up with the same discussion, but i suspect you would have gotten to your goal much faster.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz

Thanks again,

dmp

Thanks for the clarification!:becky: In all honesty, I'd have looked at that question completely differently:becky: The FE/FEC thing has been beaten to death over the years. Had you asked a question about the situation you are actually in I suspect the responses may have gone differently. Thanks for taking the time to provide that extra info, so that everyone can understand what your purpose for asking the question was.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
Back