THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sako those look great. That 9th pic after you bit in is epic. Did you get rid of the tendons during prep work? That's the one thing I don't like about drumsticks.

Thanks Bush!

I snip the tendons whith shears. Once they're exposed I pull them down firmly and cut as far up as I my shears can reach. That removes most if not all the tendons.

Makes me feel like an idiot for not thinking to try that long ago. The only thing better than chicken wings is bigger chicken wings. Duh. Thanks for sharing.

:thumb:

I'm not kidding when I say I prefer hot legs now.

Those look great. Oddly, we can get plenty of wings out here at $3/lb from Costco, in fact there’s been several instances where that’s the only chicken they had in the cooler and there were a ton of them. Sounds like they need to send some of our wings out your way and some of your chicken pieces to us.

We'll trade you tri tips for wings. :becky: Plenty and plenty cheap out here.

Well I guess if you can call a pork shoulder a butt...
Then you can call those wings :thumb:

And they look great.

Isn't there a story behind why it's called a butt? It'd be cool for our Bostonian brethren in the know break it down for us.

Isn't there a story behind why it's called a butt? It'd be cool for our Bostonian brethren in the know break it down for us.

Not that I really knew this, living here in Massachusetts. From moonlite.com, also found on Southern living website.

Where does the name “Boston butt” come from? Barbecue used to be broken down by the best cuts of meat, which went to the wealthiest people, and the less valued cuts of meat, which went to the poor folks. That’s where we get the expression “eating high on the hog”. Interesting fact: many of the cuts of meat that were considered “low” on the hog are now considered the most delicious cuts for barbecue – like Boston butt. The low-valued cuts were packed into “butts”, or barrels. The folks in Boston used to cut their shoulders in a certain way that became the common way to cut up a hog, and we now call it “Boston butt”.

Sounds reasonable to me, but I just live here.

in fact there’s been several instances where that’s the only chicken they had in the cooler and there were a ton of them.
Same here- wings galore, but not a thigh in Costco for a couple weeks.
Good idea using the legs - they are .99/lb here all day.
Even better is the 10 pound leg quarters for .49/lb at Aldi.

Back