THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Looks as if Franklin cookers are going to be at select retailers. Would be fun to have a laying of the hands at a nearby BBQ Pro Shop. We have several in this town.

There are a couple things about that $5150 cooker that I don't really go for.

No Front shelf
No intake sealer/adjuster other than cracking open the door. Can't seal off the door cut outs to knock a fire down.
Only 42", I like at least 48".
Only one cooking grate.

Just my take on what I would change/add. But I'm no Aaron Franklin. :redface:

Last edited:

No Front shelf
No intake sealer/adjuster other than cracking open the door. Can't seal off the door cut outs to knock a fire down.
Only one cooking grate.

I'm in the 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking life. However, if I was wearing a younger man's clothes one of these top end offsets would've been nice. I'll just keep admiring from afar

I'm in the 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking life. However, if I was wearing a younger man's clothes one of these top end offsets would've been nice. I'll just keep admiring from afar

Gimme a break Adams !!!!! 4th quarter of a double header .... spring for an offset that you would like .... and enjoy it until the sound of the buzzer.

No Front shelf
Only one cooking grate.

I don't like a front shelf, had one on my Brazos and it was in the way. Could not open cook chamber door if anything sitting on the shelf. And can't lean into the smoker, have to stand back and bend and reach. I have a cart I pull up to the door. And I can use the cart with my Kettles and my MB560. You can see the cart behind me in my avatar.

The only time I would want to cut off air intake completely is to kill the fire and there's no sense in that, when the cook is done just let it burn out, there's nothing to be salvaged anyway. And I'm never gonna cut the exhaust at the stack, I've never done that on any cooker I own.

Its actually 47" length. The stack end is concave and Franklin does not include that in the measurements. The stack end corners on any offset are gonna be iffy areas to put meats. Usually, if stack is to left, the back left corner will be a hot spot.

I don't want another cooking grate that will just impede and change air flow. I don't like loading up any cooker I have with meats. Changes completely how they cook, whether its my WSM or MB560 or a Kettle. I like room around the meats. I had an upper shelf in the Brazos that I never used.

Never too late for a hail Mary Adams.

Staying with this analogy....

I saw Joe Namath on TV last night talking about reverse mortgages, how I can live like a king, then die and everything just takes care of itself.

I agree, go with the Hail Mary pass!

Sell the farm and buy it!

I don't like a front shelf, had one on my Brazos and it was in the way. Could not open cook chamber door if anything sitting on the shelf. And can't lean into the smoker, have to stand back and bend and reach. I have a cart I pull up to the door. And I can use the cart with my Kettles and my MB560. You can see the cart behind me in my avatar.

The only time I would want to cut off air intake completely is to kill the fire and there's no sense in that, when the cook is done just let it burn out, there's nothing to be salvaged anyway. And I'm never gonna cut the exhaust at the stack, I've never done that on any cooker I own.

Its actually 47" length. The stack end is concave and Franklin does not include that in the measurements. The stack end corners on any offset are gonna be iffy areas to put meats. Usually, if stack is to left, the back left corner will be a hot spot.

I don't want another cooking grate that will just impede and change air flow. I don't like loading up any cooker I have with meats. Changes completely how they cook, whether its my WSM or MB560 or a Kettle. I like room around the meats. I had an upper shelf in the Brazos that I never used.

Different opinions make the world go round. It's all good.

I use my 12" front shelf every cook for my sheet pans and utensils and therm transmitter. Never been in my way.

I insert my second meat grate for the extra capacity about every other cook since I cook 3 or 4 different meats for the week at a time, some requiring the hotter temp (like chicken) of the upper shelf vs. lower shelf temp.

When done, I close the intake and exhaust to kill the fire and re-use the resulting leftover splits to add to my next fire.

Sometimes high school football coaches must finish games without their star running back. Maybe they got hurt, or grades slipped, or they are just really tired. So, they use a variety of players to finish the game. Coach might not prefer the line up on the field, but if they are winning, even a close game, contentment may be found.

Nothing wrong with contentment Adams.

Wow, I didn't realize that the price had gone up so much. When I got the email to buy one, they had gone up to about $3,200 and I passed on it. I got on the list when it first came out and the projected price at that time was around $2,900.

$5150 is staggering price increase. It was 3450 plus shipping when I bought mine. 5150 includes shipping. They are saying they've sold a 1000 of them now.

The shipping for my Millscale to go 982 miles is $1,500…

I believe the cover exceeds $700.

Back