Easter prime rib dinner

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
we normally do ham but when :becky: was at the market she saw a 5 lbs 2 bone cab rib roast for $35. couldn't pass that up.

prime rib is something that I can cook consistently well and everyone seems to really enjoy.

I feel the cab program yields consistent products

WUyKeyOh.jpg

they come from the bin cradled but untrimmed.

Iiu30hIh.jpg

I have and will prep them any number of ways. untrimmed, frenched, bones cradled or left on. lately I've taken to removing the fat from the tail and exposing the bones. I prep the night before and dry brine with salt

hFKm2m5h.jpg

in the morning I season, again no set rules but I am partial to Q-salt.

ivgtbJ9h.jpg

the pellet cooker does a great job for this. I alot 3 hours for the cook and 30 minutes to rest. I start at 225 and adjust up to 250 or down to the smoke setting if needed so it finishes when i want it to. the pellet cooker puts some good color so most times i dont sear but i used to always.

wJR9wXuh.jpg

as the roast comes up to my finish temp of 130 I drop down to the smoke mode to pump the brakes some on the carryover. the rest is 30 minutes. if there's room I use the microwave as a holding box......bout the only thing its good for

MHAPhuJh.jpg

the rest is key. during the period we come up to 135 and back down to about 130. a proper rest will help prevent juices from spilling out. this is the doneness I shoot for, I like med rare for steaks but dont like that texture for my prime rib. plus more people seem to like pink rather than red for roast beef

3ik7Vsth.jpg

dinner was simple. opened with deviled eggs (bacon spiked and dusted with smokey chili lime) scratch made scallop potatoes, cucumber salad and burned rolls from a can. cheesecake is always the prime rib dessert.

xYlmovnh.jpg

happy Easter to all

3ik7Vstl.jpg

*** controversial comment alert ***

This shot right here is why I never do reverse sear. This is perfect, end-to-end medium. No trace of grey, overcooked spinalis as I've frequently seen with a reverse sear (and other cooking methods to be fair). That's my metric: if I overcook the spinalis to any grey, it's a failed cook. I sear first, and then cook at 200. I get the same results as above with boring regularity. Every one just comes out perfect with a minimum of fuss.

Good job Smoke Ninja!

Dang!

You sure know how to nail a prime rib!

I just drooled through my face mask!
(never in my life thought I would type those words)

Man that's beautiful!!! I like a good medium rare slice, but I'm also partial to the butt pieces with all the seasoning too!

Back