Dukes Mayo - The Secret To Great Barbecue

Dukes for the win. But I found this snip questionable:

"Chicken parts and pork butts are perfect for occasions like this one: The price point is reasonable, and the meats are somewhat forgiving if a minor misstep occurs. Tay mentions that it’s best to start out with choice-cut pieces of meat. Select cuts often take more finesse, and the expense of prime level meats can be prohibitive. "

To my knowledge (also questionable) only beef is graded prime-choice-select. So what does that have to do with pork or chicken?

Dukes for the win. But I found this snip questionable:

"Chicken parts and pork butts are perfect for occasions like this one: The price point is reasonable, and the meats are somewhat forgiving if a minor misstep occurs. Tay mentions that it’s best to start out with choice-cut pieces of meat. Select cuts often take more finesse, and the expense of prime level meats can be prohibitive. "

To my knowledge (also questionable) only beef is graded prime-choice-select. So what does that have to do with pork or chicken?

Sounds like the author was paraphrasing Tay Nelson (whoever that is), so they may have combined 2 disparate thoughts in trying to summarize a longer conversation about meat selection for a crowd. Good eye though.

Dukes makes a mustard sauce that ain't too bad. I've never had their mayo. I'm not a big mayo fan really.

No self respecting Southerner would use instant grits, I mean, anything but Dukes.

Spent 40+ years in Tennessee and Alabama and no one I know used Dukes until relatively recent. Everyone I know grew up eating Hellman's (if they had manners) or Miracle Whip (if they lacked them or were raised in a trailer park).

Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first thread about mayo that I've ever seen on this forum.

It's easy to discuss. Like in sports, you pick your team and root for them when ever the subject comes up.

If you root for the other team, like Hellman's for instance, you gotta say your 2 cents for them instead of Dukes.

We use Dukes here. I was told in a cooking class to coat the chicken skin with Dukes and it would make it crispy. Haven't tried it yet but you never know I might one day.

Interesting link to great barbecue using mayonnaise. Duke's Mayonnaise

https://www.southernliving.com/featured/PitmastersRevealTheirGoToGrillingTipsDukes2022?sm_r=paFVCf

Of course I use Duke's. However last trip to store I bought Blue Plate. BP seems to have a Brethren following. I'm going to try it

I'm solidly in the Blue Plate camp, of course being from South Louisiana it's pretty much a requirement. I'm not a huge fan of Dukes. Heard all the hype, tried it and was meh...

From what I understand, Mayo "sticks" better than butter/oil so it holds to the skin longer allowing for crispier skin.

I'll have to try that. I wonder if the protein in the egg is more prone to burning.

When toasting bread in a pan, mayo forms a hard crust that is quite different from oils or butter. Sometimes that hard crust is exactly what you want. A satisfying crunch, even when not heavily toasted. It is also less oily on the fingers. Other times, it's all about the butter. You can layer them.

I need to try Duke's. It's mostly all Hellmann's up north. America's Test Kitchen apparently chose Duke's, and they are pretty methodical and do blind taste testing, but I did not see the episode. I wonder if those products have changed over the years, given the pressures of profit and mass market. We tend to like what we grew up with, and sometimes it makes no sense.

I'm sure homemade mayo with fresh eggs is much better than anything off a grocery shelf.

I dug up the nutrition labels and the level of salt and fat are definitely different. From my reading, Duke's may have more yolk.

Attachments

• hellmanns.label.cq5dam.web.640.640.jpg
    hellmanns.label.cq5dam.web.640.640.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 92
  • dukes.label.71FLtEx6rQL._SL1362_.jpg
    dukes.label.71FLtEx6rQL._SL1362_.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
I'll have to try that. I wonder if the protein in the egg is more prone to burning.

When toasting bread in a pan, mayo forms a hard crust that is quite different from oils or butter. Sometimes that hard crust is exactly what you want. A satisfying crunch, even when not heavily toasted. It is also less oily on the fingers. Other times, it's all about the butter. You can layer them.

I need to try Duke's. It's mostly all Hellmann's up north. America's Test Kitchen apparently chose Duke's, and they are pretty methodical and do blind taste testing, but I did not see the episode. I wonder if those products have changed over the years, given the pressures of profit and mass market. We tend to like what we grew up with, and sometimes it makes no sense.

I'm sure homemade mayo with fresh eggs is much better than anything off a grocery shelf.

I dug up the nutrition labels and the level of salt and fat are definitely different. From my reading, Duke's may have more yolk.

Dukes is fine, but I think Blue Plate is the best quality mayo on the shelf. I'd wager no one could discern between Dukes, Hellman's & Blue Plate on a sandwich though.

Duke's wins by a landslide. I grew up eating Blue Plate and the first time my wife bought Duke's I never looked back. It has a slight twang that I believe comes from a touch of vinegar. May be wrong but it sure it good!:cool:

I've lived on Hellman's my whole life. In my impressionable college years, the sandwich shop Jimmy John's took that craze to the next level - those big jars of Hellman's lined up high on the wall spanning 30 ft. like art work. Then Dukes made it's way into my life during my late 30's by accident. For nostalgia, I'll still put Hellman's on a sandwich from time to time, but only met with disappointment.

Back