Dry Aged Pork Chop

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
A farmer friend of mine has started messing around with dry aging pork. He went 30 days on it and cut the loin into chops. I had the opportunity to snag a couple from him and couldn't wait to try them.

Beautiful red color to them, didn't really even look like pork. I went with nothing but salt and pepper on them for the cook to try to get an clear picture of the flavor.

Mangalista/Berkshire cross

mDKW6wR.jpg

It wasn't my original intention, but wound up going with sous vide at 130 for around 5 hours and finish on the grill with just straight lump charcoal. I didn't temp them, just pulled them when the outside had a nice color.

T53dKGw.jpg

I managed to let them rest for 5 minutes or so. The pork flavor was fantastic. Super porky......not sure how else to describe it. It definitely had that aged, irony hint to it, but it was not off putting at all.

What really caught me was how much it cut like a steak. It was like working through a ribeye. I was quite surprised by the color of the meat staying red as well.

AeyeXxN.jpg

0d6JzX9.jpg

I hope he keeps doing this. Best pork chop I have ever eaten.

Dang Joe!

That's what I call a pork chop. Love the thick layer of fat on it. :hungry: Post cook looks more like beef than pork. Excellent!

Post cook looks more like beef than pork. Excellent!

Yes, Sir. I got about 1/2 way through it before I could really wrap my brain around it (which isn't saying much :becky:) I was tasting pork but seeing beef with a very beef like texture as well.

I think I could get used to it given the opportunity. The dude does a great job with his pigs regardless. I am very fortunate to know him.

That's a scumptious looking chop. I did not know that they had mangalica here. A fact I read about them some time past is that the mangalica pork fat does not have cholesterol. A winner all around.

Besides the iron/mineral taste was there any of that good funk found in dry aged beef?

Love the fat.

Besides the iron/mineral taste was there any of that good funk found in dry aged beef?

Love the fat.

Yes, it was mild compared to what I have tasted with beef, but it was there.

My wife doesn't care for dry aged beef due to that funk, but didn't mind these since it was dialed back compared to beef.

Back