Double R Ranch Shortribs-FAIL

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
I decided to take Shane from Snake River Farms up on his offer for a Brethren pricing on the short ribs they offer from their Double R Ranch. Even though the cut is not my preferred cut for BBQ, I figure you can never go wrong with quality meat sourcing.
srfraw1_zpsatn5tnbt.jpg

As you an see, these are cross cut, it would be easy from here to portion these into the traditional short ribs used for braising. However, I felt there might be enough thickness here for a nice product to emerge off the smoker. I was certainly not disappointed with the quality of the meat, being labelled as Choice or Higher, after removing from the cryo, it was clear that the smaller sections were from a Prime grade animal. The more lean and larger sections appears to be Choice, however when I cleaned them up, it was clear these were very tender.
srfraw2_zpsnxxjak2q.jpg

I prepared a simple rub of 4 parts (by volume) medium grind black pepper, 1.5 parts kosher salt, 1/8 part sugar, 1/4 part each granulated garlic and onion. This was applied in two coats to the meat, about 15 minutes apart.
srfraw3_zpslsx9wnbx.jpg

The above image was coat one. The second coat created a heavier overall coat of rub. From here, it was on to the kettle, which was set up for indirect heat, and for what I expected to be around 275°F.
srfraw4_zpsrv96orno.jpg

Yes they could have trimmed a little better, but, honestly, the more I pursued getting off those last little bits, the more the meat started to come apart. The connective tissue on these was so weak, the lean just wanted to shear. I figured this was good enough.

Then I sat in my easy chair to do a little reading, figuring I would check in an hour. And I fell asleep. Since starting to deal with some health issues, my attention span has been bad, and I have blown a load of cooks. I woke up after 4 hours, checked and sure as shooting, the kettle was at 375°F.

Fark! :mad2:
srfburnt1_zpshkaznhwy.jpg

I know, you're thinking those look fine. But, they got there far too fast and the meat never got to the point of being soft. Great bark, excellent flavor but, underdone near the bone. Too much chew.
srfchopped1_zps02hu7kia.jpg

Sliced and there is a nice smoke ring, and to be honest, my cousins from Idaho and Texas would have loved this.
srfclose1_zpsblirtedx.jpg

You can see that the meat is still edible. In fact, I can see in this photo that the connective tissue was probably an hour away from giving up the ghost. Problem is, the bark was perfect right here. Just a little chewy. Shane asked me for feedback, here it is.

1. This was excellent meat, with great marbling, soft connective tissue and flavor. I was very pleased with the quality of the meat.

2. I dislike this cut for BBQ, although I can create good product, it is just not the right cut. I would prefer it be available as either plate cut (3 or 4 bone) or in single long rib cut (8" section of the plate or chuck rib). It just smokes better.

3. I still have more of these, and will do a couple more cooks. I doubt I will but them again in this configuration, but, would not hesitate to buy a plate of these.

4. Despite my blowing the cook, I ended up with eminently edible product, that in most cases would rock folks palate. It could have been so much better.

I also left the door open, so the smoke drafted throughout the house. It still smelled a bit smoky this morning (although it is a better smoky smell than the smoke from the wildfires, that has been covering the Bay Area lately)

Glad to see you back in the smoke bob. The way I see it, a bad Landarc cook is better than a good shenco cook!
I very much doubt that, you've been rocking some great looking grub, and I cant wait to see what you do with the beast tank offset cooker

I very much doubt that, you've been rocking some great looking grub, and I cant wait to see what you do with the beast tank offset cooker

I lay awake at night dreaming of the day a light the fire in it, pretty pathetic. I'm donating bbq for a church fundraiser (flood damaged daycare) in September and my smoker will be needed, so I'm officially on the clock.

A little over 1" thick. If all had gone per plan, I believe I could have gotten some great product from these. Obviously, they are the right cut for something like sous vide or braising. I can see these really working great as a braised meat, served over mashed potatoes, or in a rustic stew.

I will add, something I look for in beef quality is the way the fat cooks. The bark on these was terrific, if overly darkened to quickly, the flavor is there, smoky, sweet and a little crispy, I attribute that to the fat, very clean, white, and dense. It rendered beautifully

Ah. OK, they were about as thick as I had estimated. They are beautiful, but I would have preferred them about an inch thicker even for braising. I see thin (usually 1/2 to 1 inch) cross cut like those in CAB occasionally at the local l mom and pop and always give them a pass.

I think these would be a very popular cut for grilling, especially Asian style dishes. It's one of the most common cuts for these, and it's a sad thing, as they are such great chunks of meat, but, would cook better in larger format, however, I have spoken with the butchers I normally buy from, and they claim this is the most requested cut.

That is odd, but understandable, I guess. I see them very often in the select grade, always about 1/2 inch thick. I wonder if it's a cut the local Hispanic population is taking advantage of. Meat counters in my area have adapted to the demographic change.

That is odd, but understandable, I guess. I see them very often in the select grade, always about 1/2 inch thick. I wonder if it's a cut the local Hispanic population is taking advantage of. Meat counters in my area have adapted to the demographic change.
I have not seen it heavily used by Mexican cooks around here, and there are usually not a lot at the Mexican markets around here. Where I see a huge amount used is in Chinese and Korean restaurants.

Great write up and glad to see you back cooking and posting!

I almost pulled the trigger on those, but thought they were boneless, which I prefer and usually buy when I'm in the mood for Kalbi.

Double R can be bought from Albertsons hear in The Boise area. I need to look into that. Even though I live close to SRF office I still have to get the wagyu through the mail. Haven't taken the plunge yet though. Brethren pricing, you say?

Hey Bob
That looks purty good from up here in the smoke and haze....
If ya had called me I could have buzzed down and we both could have slept through the cook.....;)

They do look very tasty. That bark and smoke make em look extra delicious. It's interesting to see what happens to a smaller cut like that thanks for posting. I also can't wait to see more of your work!

Back