Does anyone keep an inventory of what you keep in your freezer?

jhwhite

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jody
We have a chest freezer in the garage, but the garage is detached, there's almost this mental block to doing out there sometimes. And we'll forget what out there and buy more of what we already have.

I've considered making an inventory in a Google Sheet of what we have so all we need to do is pull it up on our phones. But is that overboard?

Does anyone else do anything like this?

I've made them before, for much the same reason. And also to help plan to cook with what I have frozen for rotation. But, it never lasts. I throw something in there and forget to update, grab something in a hurry, and next thing you know-the page isn't accurate at all.

I did see an article about a freezer app for your phone, but you have to build the basic inventory at some point and be mindful to add and subtract items as you buy and use. Mrs ~t~ uses Google Keep Notes for her shopping list and we have the "share" feature on that note, so I can add something to the list from my phone.

We made a general inventory of the freezer in Keep Notes but we have an upright with certain shelves for beef, pork, seafood etc., so it's easy to look inside and get an idea of what is running low.

I use to, I used open-office (now libre office) spread sheet to create the inventory. I would then print it out and tape it on the pantry (or freezer) along with a pencil on a string. When removing just scratch a line through the item, when adding just write it in at the bottom. Then every once in a while grab the sheet and back to the laptop to update the digital copy. Rinse, repeat.

I wouldn't keep up with it. I know me.

I once drew a map of my chest freezer looking down from the top after I had pulled everything out to defrost it and put everything back in in an orderly fashion and recorded it on my map. Chicken here, pork here, steaks here, sausage here....you get the idea.

Didn't work. I had it screwed up within 2 months or so. So trying to keep inventory of every single item will not work with me.

I know this. If nothing else. :doh:

Yes, we have used one for several years. Very helpful in keeping track of the freezer inventory.

My wife keeps one just on paper.
She knows what’s uncooked for meal planning, and she knows what in them cooked for leftovers. Well, most of the time.

For sure I use one - paper copy that I make changes to as needed. Really helps us out when things go on sale only to see that "oh my, we already have 3 pork butts" and we can pass on the most recent sale. Remembering to update is the tricky part - right next to rotating the stock so you don't end up with 3 year old meat.

• Thanks
Reactions: OSD
I use an app called Pantry Check. What's nice is that I can track what's in my pantry, fridge, and freezers with it. If it has a barcode, you just scan it and then enter the best by date and save it to the location of where the food is. If there's no barcode, you can enter it as a custom item. It will even tell you when items are about to go past the best by date by putting a circle next to the category on the inventory.

I am hopeless. Like New Years diet resolutions, I promise that we'll eat out of the freezers till they're empty, then I go to the grocery store hungry and good intentions go bye bye. So I'm stuck with two freezers stuffed with Lord knows what.

We have inventory for our freezer. Prob needs an update and add the stuff that’s in our kitchen fridge. It does make things easier. I know some keep the list on the freezer door so they can make changes easily

I'm an accountant and that sounds a lot like work to me, LOL! I leave the inventory spreadsheets at the office! ;)

The wife and I just have a shared iPhone note. We keep a running grocery list in the note. We try to keep a freezer inventory and bulk pantry inventory. It's difficult to keep the inventory list updated perfectly but it's better than nothing.

Back