DivaQ class

Rusty, I sure wish you lived around here, cause I would be more than happy to have a good dishwasher. I'm sure Scottie and some of the older cooks can remember that was about the only way to learn back in the day.

Back in the day, before I developed a bad back, a huge gut, and a nasty bbq habit, I used to play a lot of golf. We had a phrase we used when guys were over thinking their swing, saying they had "paralysis by analysis".

At some point, you've just got to step up, take a swing, and hit the ball.

Back in the day, before I developed a bad back, a huge gut, and a nasty bbq habit, I used to play a lot of golf. We had a phrase we used when guys were over thinking their swing, saying they had "paralysis by analysis".

At some point, you've just got to step up, take a swing, and hit the ball.

And that folks is why I gave up that game

$289.00 per comp average? Usually our diesel and gas costs more than that.

Seriously!!!

Entry fees= 250-300
Meat = 200-250
Supplies = 50 avg. per contest
Fuel = at least 50
Miscellaneous costs = 50 per comp

That's $600 on the low side per comp. Now I do cook full KCBS with 4 meats, and we cook Wagyu, but that would only skim $150 off the top of that.

Seriously!!!

Entry fees= 250-300
Meat = 200-250
Supplies = 50 avg. per contest
Fuel = at least 50
Miscellaneous costs = 50 per comp

That's $600 on the low side per comp. Now I do cook full KCBS with 4 meats, and we cook Wagyu, but that would only skim $150 off the top of that.
I have to travel farther so I'm usually around $200 alone on fuel for the weekend.
entry fees 250-300
Meat, with a high dollar brisket It's total around 350. I cook 1 brisket, 3 butts, 4 racks and 18 thighs. I buy a case of ribs and take the best 4 and often times 6 butts for the best 3.
with rubs injections etc, i factor 150 in supplies
And a night in a hotel if we have to travel a ways 100

I always plan for 800-1000 bucks per kcbs contest.

Not to go off topic but I'm chiming in as a reminder as to who we are and where we came from.

Years ago Jim minion mentored me for months on competing. Phone calls, posts, distress signals.. At all hours of the day.

Jeff in KC took on the American royal open as his first contest. we stuck with him for weeks getting him preprepared for the AR. stayed the night and walked through it with him if for nothing more than moral support.

Bigmista was afraid to cook a brisket and it was our members that got him into it and look where he is today..

Point is, this groups tag line 'From the backyard to the American Royal' is double edged... It means we have members with skill sets ranging from back yard beginners to the seasoned veteran, and ever AR winners..... But it also means you, thru our archives and our members knowledge can progress from the backyard TO the American Royal.

That's only done by all of us showing patience to teach, to mentor, to educate, as we'll as others heeding the advice of the veterans.
For the love!

Glad you enjoyed the class! Practice what you have learned. Keep asking questions if our answers don't help you I am sure they will help someone else who is to afraid to post.

Good luck and keep posting your progress

Glad you enjoyed the class! Practice what you have learned. Keep asking questions if our answers don't help you I am sure they will help someone else who is to afraid to post.

Good luck and keep posting your progress

Thanks. Some answers have helped a lot and some just don't work for me. I am not sure what the heck I did this time to piss them all off. Oh well what you going to do. If I piss them off I piss them off. Not my problem. I just am not even phased by it anymore. A lot of people just have big mouths myself included at some points.
The DivaQ class was awesome and we learned a lot that we are going to be applying a lot of it in the future. I still say her class was worth the money and worth the trip.
Just asking you guys in general that are pissed off to please refrain from further response to this topic in particular. Danielle and the people of Stone BBQ Supply worked hard to put on this class and it just distracting from giving them credit for putting on a great class. It's not the place to bash me. Really I am asking you to layoff for now and save the bashing for when it is a topic about my cooking. Feel free then to rip in to me all you want. This topic though is a about how impressed I was with the class and the venue. These people did a great job.
Also, who ever made the macaroni salad for the lunch we got that was fantastic! I don't even like macaroni salad and you even got me to eat it and my wife has been trying to get me to eat it for years. So thanks again to the awesome people at Stone BBQ Supply for putting on a great class. Thanks to Danielle for being a fantastic teacher. So take the DivaQ class it is worth the money.

Not sure if someone mentioned in an earlier post, just watching an episode of BBQ Crawl with Diva Q in which some of the BBQ brethren are at Mables in Brooklyn enjoying some of their foods.

Thanks. Some answers have helped a lot and some just don't work for me. I am not sure what the heck I did this time to piss them all off. Oh well what you going to do. If I piss them off I piss them off. Not my problem. I just am not even phased by it anymore. A lot of people just have big mouths myself included at some points.

Again, if you keep running into people that are pissed off, it might not be them that needs to reevaluate.

Again, if you keep running into people that are pissed off, it might not be them that needs to reevaluate.

You are probably right but if I don't have a clue what I am doing to piss people off I really can't even attempt to fix it. Sometimes I am thick and I just don't get it. I am tired of worrying about it though. I did try to understand where people are coming from but when people hurl insults at you generally most people don't listen at all. Unfortunately for me that is the way it goes and I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will. My wife told me she thinks it may just be a generational gap. I really don't know what I did that was so wrong. Once I tried making the transition to more of the competition side of the forum is where it probably all went wrong. That seemed to be when people got angry. The only other time was when I went for my pellet grill over a WSM. Although I will admit I wish I would have went with the WSM off the bat. The pellet grill is just not for me as I am bored to death with it. It is just to easy. Not that it really matters. I hope I figure it out some day but if I don't I guess I am just not going to lose sleep over it.
Seriously, though I am truly sorry for whatever I did to make so many people so angry. I hope that you all understand it was not intentional. I am not sure what I did and I hope the apology is good enough.

I don't have a clue what I am doing to piss people off

Here's a clue. I want to preface this with "it might sound harsh, but I am just being honest." I'm a teacher. When we problem solve students that aren't successful in school we talk about two kinds of kids... "can't do" and "won't do." (And this is after quality instruction - my school has won awards. We were just given one today.) The can't do kids are the ones that have special needs and simply can't do what is asked. The won't do kids are the ones that have the ability to do what we teach, but, for some reason, don't. You are a won't do. You ask for lots of advice, but you won't do it. You've got multiple excuses and talk yourself out of taking the advice. That is what is frustrating and that is what ticks some people off. I'll be honest with you... it is really aggravating to see all of the solid advice given to you and you just toss it away. I have learned things from the responses given to your questions, but you ignore or talk away the knowledge... your loss. Trust the brethren, 99% of what is said here is solid advice based on years of experience. They are dispensing it for free. Take it to heart and try it. If it doesn't work, state your observations and procedure and ask if the experts notice something and take their damn advice! Again, sorry if this sounds harsh. Honestly, I want you to be successful. I hope you get called to the Shade Tree, and I hope you GC. But, that won't happen until you start listening to the answers to the questions that you ask.

Here's a clue. I want to preface this with "it might sound harsh, but I am just being honest." I'm a teacher. When we problem solve students that aren't successful in school we talk about two kinds of kids... "can't do" and "won't do." (And this is after quality instruction - my school has won awards. We were just given one today.) The can't do kids are the ones that have special needs and simply can't do what is asked. The won't do kids are the ones that have the ability to do what we teach, but, for some reason, don't. You are a won't do. You ask for lots of advice, but you won't do it. You've got multiple excuses and talk yourself out of taking the advice. That is what is frustrating and that is what ticks some people off. I'll be honest with you... it is really aggravating to see all of the solid advice given to you and you just toss it away. I have learned things from the responses given to your questions, but you ignore or talk away the knowledge... your loss. Trust the brethren, 99% of what is said here is solid advice based on years of experience. They are dispensing it for free. Take it to heart and try it. If it doesn't work, state your observations and procedure and ask if the experts notice something and take their damn advice! Again, sorry if this sounds harsh. Honestly, I want you to be successful. I hope you get called to the Shade Tree, and I hope you GC. But, that won't happen until you start listening to the answers to the questions that you ask.

Ok I think your right. Honestly I really needed that spelled out for me. Sorry you had to spell it out for me. I really appreciate the harsh honesty though. I think what I am going to do is look back at everything that has been said in my past posts and see what I can learn from them. If I have questions I am going to ask. I think I am going to try to shut my mouth and try listening to the answers and just try them even if I am out of my comfort zone doing that. If I don't understand it then I am going to post questions asking for clarification on what is meant. Again sorry I am so thick sometimes.

Ok I think your right. Honestly I really needed that spelled out for me. Sorry you had to spell it out for me. I really appreciate the harsh honesty though. I think what I am going to do is look back at everything that has been said in my past posts and see what I can learn from them. If I have questions I am going to ask. I think I am going to try to shut my mouth and try listening to the answers and just try them even if I am out of my comfort zone doing that. If I don't understand it then I am going to post questions asking for clarification on what is meant. Again sorry I am so thick sometimes.

Don't apologize. Just helping out another brother, and trying to help you feel welcome here. Here is a lesson in going out of the comfort zone... right now, this very minute, I have two pork butts cooking hot and fast on my WSM with a rub I've never used before. I have always been a low and slow guy, spritzing and all that, and I have gotten calls with that procedure. A good friend, that I met here, gave me tons of advice on going hot and fast. Do I know if it will be a success in the judging tent? No. Does this mean I have to go hot and fast for ever? No. I am trying it out. Whatever happens, I know that I will have good pulled pork for our party this weekend. Rusty, embrace the advice you get, don't alienate folks here.

And, back to the OP, how is Danielle doing? :cool:

Back