Dish Washing & Hand Washing Station Questions

I believe technically that the word "should" when referring to sanitizing is an option, otherwise "shall" would have been used. The wording "contestant will provide a separate container..." is a requirement to at least have some containers.

So, foil half-pans seem to be a great option and I have those already.

For all you folks that use disposable stuff and dont think you need to carry the sanitary equipment. You are wrong. I have seen it where a rep will not approve your meats until you have it. Just like fire extinguishers. Because it hasnt happened yet, is not an excuse.

For all you folks that use disposable stuff and dont think you need to carry the sanitary equipment. You are wrong. I have seen it where a rep will not approve your meats until you have it. Just like fire extinguishers. Because it hasnt happened yet, is not an excuse.

Log books, tell them about log books Uncle Scottie!:razz:

i use 5 gallon buckets filled with water to hold the four corners of my 10X10 pop up. I put Wash, Rinse, Sanitize labels on those buckets if ever asked.

As most others said, I try and stay as disposable as possible.

When I would cook under an EZUp, I would also have a small bottle of bleach, soap with me. I would carry 5 gallon buckets as my washing tubs. These buckets became EzUp weights. I have had reps request washing tubs and bleach when I was cooking out of the rv.

Log books, tell them about log books Uncle Scottie!:razz:

I can safely say that I have cooked in the most states and regions. Every contest I cooked in the NE, it was mandatory. When I cooked New Mexico, I guarantee you it was required, because Dept. of Health were involved. All it takes is a rep to come in from another part of the US and enforce the rules and a whole bunch if teams would be screwed.

I believe technically that the word "should" when referring to sanitizing is an option, otherwise "shall" would have been used. The wording "contestant will provide a separate container..." is a requirement to at least have some containers.

So, foil half-pans seem to be a great option and I have those already.

The rule reads (emphasis mine):
"Each contestant will provide a separate container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils."

As poorly written, literally it requires ONE container to be used for washing, rinsing and sanitizing.

As written, it also could be interpreted as a container for washing, and a second container for rinsing and sanitizing.

Probably should have been more properly written written along the lines of:
Each contestant will provide separate containers for washing, rinsing, and sanitizing of utensils.
(Commas are your friend!)

The key word for me is "will" provide, not should provide. And yes, as written only one tub is necessary for the 3 step cleaning process. Also, rules need to have their consequences clearly stated. There are no consequences stated in the rule for not having the washing gear so I find it questionable whether a KCBS Rep can enforce a rule if there is no written consequence.

For the OP, I like to clean at a contest and leave everything in my van instead of taking it home to clean. So, I use a Coleman Portable Hot Water Heater along with 3 plastic bus tubs. I use 5 gallons to fill the two rinse tubs and attach another 5 gallons of water to the heater.

Just shows how bad other parts are the country are in regards to govt overreach in their health regulations.
Exactly. When people wonder why less and less people compete and contest go away this is just one reason.

Last year i was at a contest were a local health dept employee showed up and wanted to inspect everyone. I refused to let them in my trailer, I wasn't the only one who refused. And it didn't prevent me from cooking the contest.

Exactly. When people wonder why less and less people compete and contest go away this is just one reason.

Last year i was at a contest were a local health dept employee showed up and wanted to inspect everyone. I refused to let them in my trailer, I wasn't the only one who refused. And it didn't prevent me from cooking the contest.

What was their claim or reasoning. I presume you were not serving the public so I see no jurisdiction for them to even try.

What was their claim or reasoning. I presume you were not serving the public so I see no jurisdiction for them to even try.
They had no clue how KCBS works. They assumed we were serving public. I stated the judging is private therefore there was no reason they needed to be in my trailer. Yet they still harassed everyone. Some let them in, most didn't.

When I was on a competition team, my job was "clean up". We used one of these and it works great. But they are really pricey.

https://www.coleman.com/hot-water-on-demand-h2oasis-portable-water-heater/2000026562.html

I would probably start with a pot to heat the water on a grill, but if I was going to get serious I would definitely get one. It is really nice to have, even just to use a hot wet rag to clean up a sticky messy handle on the pit.

Back