Discussion Thread -> "Classic Mutton and Fermented Yak Yogurt Pan Pizza with Plastic Figurines" Throwdown (Whackadoodle Thread *BE WARNED*)

Ronelle pointed this out to me.

Look what is #3 on Google search results...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fermented+yak+yogurt

:pound: :pound: :pound:

Whackadoodles are finally world famous!!

And I don't know what a farking pan pizza is either, Shag, so I looked up images.

Some have thick heavy dough on the bottom but some have a lighter, bubbled dough and some aren't so thick at all. Looks like there is some room to maneuver and a cast iron skillet works. :thumb:

[URL=http://cubeupload.com/im/hlwRtO.jpeg]

[/URL]

Pan just means thicker crust. So thin crust is out. Thickness is really up to you. There is no real rigid definition out there of "pan pizza". The best reference I could find for one is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza#Crust

Interestingly, our alternative category to alleviate confusion was to simply make it a "Pan Pizza" Throwdown.

It must be a pan pizza. If you don't know what pan pizza is, then you probably shouldn't bother entering in the first place, and should instead go try some farking pizza for once in your life.

...And all this time I thought Pan was a mythological creature...

picture.php

^ They came up for pan pizza images. So what's a pan pizza, then? I'll google a definition. :thumb: I'm getting creative and have figured out most of my toppings, I don't want to get DQ'd because I used the wrong pan.

I don't know if the following definition is right but there it is. If I can find a few more sources saying the same thing I think I've got it. The order of laying ingredients down is the difference between a deep dish pizza and a pan pizza.

Pan pizza: found at places including Pequod’s Pizza. (Moretti’s advertises its pizza as a pan pizza, but its layering of ingredients is more similar to a deep dish pizza.) The difference between the pan and the deep dish is supposed to be the stacking order of ingredients. Toppings and cheese are on the top of the sauce and not under the sauce. The crust is also supposed to be a little thicker, with the cheese layer much smaller than the deep dish’s.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pizza-terminology-explained

Pan pizza does not have to be as thick as deep dish pizza. Essentially it is a thick crust cooked in a pan. It does not have to be 3 inches thick. Many pan pizzas I have seen are only a little over half an inch thick.

Again, no rigid definition except that is IS NOT thin crust and it is cooked in a pan.

So, with that Iw ould say you are good to go.

Moose and Ron might have something to add. Ron is in Chicago though, so he may be deep dish biased.:becky:

I have an extra pizza pan to trade if anybody has some extra frog they would like to loan me, I have an idea………..

Pan pizza does not have to be as thick as deep dish pizza. Essentially it is a thick crust cooked in a pan. It does not have to be 3 inches thick. Many pan pizzas I have seen are only a little over half an inch thick.

Again, no rigid definition except that is IS NOT thin crust and it is cooked in a pan.

So, with that Iw ould say you are good to go.

Moose and Ron might have something to add. Ron is in Chicago though, so he may be deep dish biased.:becky:

That's more or less what I've been finding and you're right, there is not a rigid definition. Pan pizza is not a popular term where I live except for one restaurant Pizza chain I rarely go to. Everything I've read here and online points to it being a regular pizza, thicker than thin crust but thinner than deep dish, with sauce on the bottom and cheese on the top (as opposed to Chicago-style deep dish with cheese on the bottom and sauce on top).

Funny the yak and figurine aspects were easy to understand but I didn't know exactly what pan pizza is. :doh:

If I could find someone in DFW to sell me mutton, I'd be all over the TD! I migt have trouble with the "Fermented Yak Yogurt Pan Pizza with Plastic Figurines."

That's more or less what I've been finding and you're right, there is not a rigid definition. Pan pizza is not a popular term where I live except for one restaurant Pizza chain I rarely go to. Everything I've read here and online points to it being a regular pizza, thicker than thin crust but thinner than deep dish, with sauce on the bottom and cheese on the top (as opposed to Chicago-style deep dish with cheese on the bottom and sauce on top).

Funny the yak and figurine aspects were easy to understand but I didn't know exactly what pan pizza is. :doh:
Just use a rimmed baking sheet or jelly roll pan.

Back