Deep Frying a Spiral Cut Ham

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all! I have a buddy who asked me about what I know about deep frying a spiral ham. I told him all I know about it was Google tells me as I have never tried deep frying a spiral cut ham. The recipes I have found all give the same instructions:

Directions

1. In an outdoor turkey fryer kind of contraption heat several gallons of peanut oil to 375°F.
  2. You can use the oil left over from frying a Cajun turkey — it is seasoned and hot already and just perfect.
  3. Lower the ham — unwrapped of course — into the hot oil.
  4. Do not do anything to the ham- just remove from package.
  5. As the ham fries it will 'seal' the outside with a type of crust like crispy bacon and seal all the juices inside.
  6. Fry about 7 – 9 minutes — longer will give you more crust, shorter will produce less crust.
  7. You may need to make this recipe a few times before you find the perfect 'doneness' for you.
  8. Carefully remove from oil and let drain and cool a little.
  9. Slice as you would any spiral cut ham.
  10. Serve!

So my questions to those reading this post are these:

Has anyone tried this?

If the answer is yes, have you any suggestions, tips or alterations to this recipe?

Christmas beers to all,

Juggy D Beerman

Never heard of that before, but I hope he takes a lot of pictures and you post the results!

Have on hand,plenty of fire extinguishers and flour to put out the potential grease fire.Other than that,,,Go for it and report back please! Sounds like a fun time!

Have on hand,plenty of fire extinguishers and flour to put out the potential grease fire.Other than that,,,Go for it and report back please! Sounds like a fun time!
Yes. There are some really terrifying videos showing what can happen with those fryers.

Happy Hapgood said:
...you will get a volcano of fire shooting out of the pot...

Happy Hapgood said:
...I've done one in my Charbroil Big Easy oilless turkey fryer and it turned out great...

Had to read that twice. The sentences seemed related on the first pass.

Back