Darn 270 Smokers Sumo needs serious restoration work

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So I went to do some cleaning in the 270 Smokers Sumo and it hasn't been cooked in much in a few years and the bottom was rotted out. I was cleaning rust out. It went through in the firebox area. Not blaming this on 270 Smokers. The Sumo has seen a lot of use but has sat for a number of years idle.
Its only the inner layer of steel in the bottom. I removed the entire inner layer on the bottom below the ash pan. Got a new piece of 16 gauge steel that I am going to hopefully install tomorrow afternoon.
I found a small bit of rot where the inner front layer connects to the inner bottom layer so I am getting more sheet metal in the morning to cut out that rot and install a new layer. Going to make new rails for the ash pan to sit on as well.
Strangely, the rest of it is solid as can be and no rot at all.
I removed the insulation in the bottom as well and it is no good at all. So I am debating whether to leave it out as heat rises or replace it. I know it had 1 inch insulation in it but not sure what I should use to replace the insulation.
I thought about getting it welded back together as I am not a welder but thinking about it if this needs replaced down the road again I kind of want it to be simple so I am thinking sheet metal screws to attach the new metal to the old solid metal after removing all the rotten bits to make it more easily replaced if it happens again.

Hey Rusty Kettle, sorry to hear about your sumo. I haven’t payed much attention to mine lately so I guess I should take a look. Do you have any photos.

Hey Rusty Kettle, sorry to hear about your sumo. I haven’t payed much attention to mine lately so I guess I should take a look. Do you have any photos.
It got dark so I was working with a work light. So no photos tonight. I was mainly ripping it apart tonight and going at it with a sawzall to remove the rotten metal.

I was recently looking into a Limo Jr and an Assassin. Everyone seems to like the all welded construction of the Limo Jr. I went with the Assassin, partly because Jeff bends and screws the outer metal. I like the idea of easy and cheap fixing if anything ever goes wrong. It sounds like screws would work fine and gives you the ability to easily replace that piece down the road.

Just a pic of the work done today. Got the main metal cut. 16 gauge steel sheet metal. Started attaching the metal on the front. Got to get metal to make rails before attaching the bottom. They have to be installed before installing the new bottom in the smoker.

So an update and a small setback. Got to go to lowes again for some longer screws. I got the back screwed in but the front part of the bottom is loose.

I can't get a drill in like I would like to get screws in where I want them. So I have some left over metal square tubing that I am going to use to pin down the front. I figure I can drill a few holes in the tubing and run some longer screws into the front part that I replaced and screw the tubing in to pin the front down. I can see why a welder would be the way to go but alas I don't weld and this is a cheaper solution. I test fit the tube in and with the ash pan over it it makes it solid but I have to attach it to the front and then it should be done and ready for a burn in and re-seasoning with lard and cooking spray. Lard imo is better for seasoning a smoker than Pam spray. It seems to hold up better. So a few more screws through some tubing positioned in the right place and everything should be done and hopefully I will not have to replace this again. Probably won't be cooking this weekend but at least I am getting much closer to finishing the repairs.

Now to get a shower and some coffee and get out of the snow for a bit. Hoping to burn this in later tonight but maybe not until tomorrow afternoon. Probably no cooking for a few weekends.

I bought the original 270 Standard from Mason Dixon in PA about seven years ago. I bought it with the heavy duty cover. I found that despite keeping the fire box clean after each cook and keeping it covered when not in use it tended to rust. It was pretty clear that moisture from the ground would condense in the inside of the cover and pool on top of the smoker where I was getting rust. Over time I noticed rust elsewhere. My solution was to take a wire brush to it and then repaint it and then best of all-give it away to a needy home. My TV install expert was over to install an outdoor TV in a pavilion I had built for my smokers and noticed it along my other smokers and asked how much I wanted for it and I gave him an offer he could not refuse-free.
In case you can't tell, I never quite fell in love with the 270. It does hold a steady temp irrespective of weather and with requisite skill and getting over the learning curve as to it's unique peccadilloes one can cook some very good Q with it. But that said, I could never get a decent smoke ring with it and it's design favors brisket and pork shoulder over ribs and chicken (the latter two needing higher heat).
But back to the point, yes, the metal is thin and prone to rusting.

I bought the original 270 Standard from Mason Dixon in PA about seven years ago. I bought it with the heavy duty cover. I found that despite keeping the fire box clean after each cook and keeping it covered when not in use it tended to rust. It was pretty clear that moisture from the ground would condense in the inside of the cover and pool on top of the smoker where I was getting rust. Over time I noticed rust elsewhere. My solution was to take a wire brush to it and then repaint it and then best of all-give it away to a needy home. My TV install expert was over to install an outdoor TV in a pavilion I had built for my smokers and noticed it along my other smokers and asked how much I wanted for it and I gave him an offer he could not refuse-free.
In case you can't tell, I never quite fell in love with the 270. It does hold a steady temp irrespective of weather and with requisite skill and getting over the learning curve as to it's unique peccadilloes one can cook some very good Q with it. But that said, I could never get a decent smoke ring with it and it's design favors brisket and pork shoulder over ribs and chicken (the latter two needing higher heat).
But back to the point, yes, the metal is thin and prone to rusting.
Yeah I was not a fan of the cover myself but mine it left odd marks that imprinted itself in the powder coat but I did eventually find a good cocktail of cleaning chemicals to remove that. Really it was just the bottom that rotted out and only the inside right under the ash pan. I got the old part removed and the underside was clean. No problems. The rest of the smoker is in good shape. They really should use thicker metal in the bottom and the front lip of the smoker. I probably would look for a smoker that had a bit heavier metal in the future but right now I am just going to finish my rehab on it and get back to cooking.
Really imo the powder coat is ok not perfect. It stains easy and got to clean it very carefully to keep it in good shape. I believe they recommend Krud Kutter for cleaning.
The steel is thin in the bottom for sure and could use beefed up. I may do that at some point but for now just replaced it with the same thickness metal that was there originally.
I got my 270 from Mason Dixon as well. I think it would have been 6 or 7 years ago.
If I were to buy again I may look at a T&K Smoker or maybe add a Backwoods Smoker.
What would be a really great idea for 270 is to make the bottom a lot thicker. Just my opinion.
The design for how it cooks is fantastic but yeah there are few spots that could use some improvement. Thicker metal under the ash pan being the most important upgrade and maybe a different finish that is easier to touch up. Something that doesn't need special care to clean it.
Never had any issues getting a smoke ring with this smoker or any issues with Chicken and ribs. The Sumo I think tends to cook hotter than some of the larger ones. It tends to get a bit hotter at the top and honestly is the best spot for chicken to finish off.
Its not a bad smoker and it puts out good food. I have even pulled a few awards at smaller non-sanctioned comps with it. So I can't complain too much. I just wish the bottom had been thicker on the inside.

Ok so had another minor setback but I should be able to fix it pretty easy. The bolts that come down and retain the ash pan are a bit short now and well they are rusted bad from heat and need cut off and replaced but once that is done everything should work good. So no cooking or re-seasoning the smoker tonight. I want stainless steel and Lowe's just closed. All things considering it is coming along and will get complete but this is a job that is for sure.
So yeah the bottom is secured and replaced with new 16 gauge steel on the front lip and the bottom and buttoned down in the front and back but it needs the retaining bolts for the ash pan replaced so I can increase the length just a bit to retain the pan correctly in the smoker.

So it's done for now. Got to burn it out just in case any chemicals were used on the new metal. Probably fine but a burn out to be safe is a good idea.
I got new carriage bolts and nuts to replace the old rotten ones that were to short with the new bottom rails.
Hopefully it lasts awhile and I can get many more years out of it.
The bolts keep the ash pan from falling out of the smoker.
Got a few pics that I have to upload but not the greatest pics since it is dark.

Back