Cut of beef to smoke. Suggestions please?

I have had great luck with prime rib. Its a shorter cook than brisket and also you can sear the ends at the end of the smoke in case you have guests that want medium rare while some want closer to well done.

Also, if you want a cheaper cut of beef given inflation, try chuck roast. Amazon has some and I have had great feedback. Usually a 2 to 3 hour smoke using a reverse sear method. https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Chuck-Ro...ywords=beef+chuck+roast&qid=1657204769&sr=8-5

Thanks vasanda,
I've only even eaten prime rib twice in restaurants. Both times were rare.
Seeing how many people have suggested prime rib, I'll look into it. To be honest, I know so little about prime rib, I'm a little intimidated.
I do love smoked chuck roast. I did three of them a couple months ago. I treated them like brisket, though I took them to 210 & pulled for sliders. They were delicious. For this cook, I want to slice them, and not thin as in for sandwiches.
JD

Picanha? There are several ways to cook it and you could do it medium (rare) and finish some slices to well done for the wife.

Thanks.
I love prime rib. Problem is my wife only eats well done. In my opinion prime rib is at it's best at medium rare.

I feel your pain. Over the years I've gotten her to start accepting it medium, but it means I always have to cook to two temperatures.

I just bought Picanha/sirloin top cap at Costco for $5.99/lb. I love the stuff. Smoke til 115 F or so, then sear. Great stuff and reasonably priced.

Prime rib goes on sale here about once a month and it's about the same price as ground beef. But I'd really hate to take any part of that cut to well done.

Top sirloin also goes on sale about once a month so i can get the cap (pichana) for less than some ground beef. You could slice a piece off and let it keep going until well done. But you'd need a second cooker if you want to get the fat cap nice and succulent.

A striploin roast might be a good option for slicing as well. Not that cheap but you can choose the size you want.

Sliced chuck roast is a family favorite. We like it better than chopped.

Thanks Bob!

I somked three nice Prime Chuckies on my KBQ using slather, rub, and apple wood. Sauced, back on pit to tack it up. Wrapped in butcher paper to rest. Pulled for BBQ beef sandwiches. The pulled beef chuck barbecue was juicy, flavorful, tender and delicious!

I had decided on Beef Plate Ribs. I am trying to imagine what slices would be like. It would certainly save some $ over plate ribs.

Are you willing to share your cook process for smoked chuck slices please?
Thanks in advance!
JD

Cool2

Cool,
That’s more of a grill than a smoke, isn’t it?
Did you do a reverse sear?
JD

Took roughly 1 hour on the smoker at 225ish to reach 120. Then rested 15 minutes or so while the coal chimney heated up. Seared on all sides. Thinly sliced :clap2:

Thanks Bob!

I somked three nice Prime Chuckies on my KBQ using slather, rub, and apple wood. Sauced, back on pit to tack it up. Wrapped in butcher paper to rest. Pulled for BBQ beef sandwiches. The pulled beef chuck barbecue was juicy, flavorful, tender and delicious!

I had decided on Beef Plate Ribs. I am trying to imagine what slices would be like. It would certainly save some $ over plate ribs.

Are you willing to share your cook process for smoked chuck slices please?
Thanks in advance!
JD
I don't really do anything special. Lately I've been cooking them on my pellet grill. In fact yesterday I did a 2 lb roast. Rubbed with Black OPS from Oakridge after a mustard slather, cooked for about 4 hours at 250 degrees, wrapped in foil and turned it up to 300. In about an hour it reached 205 internal and was probe tender. Let it rest about 30 minutes while I grilled some zucchini and yellow squash (would have rested longer if I had the time) and carved with an electric knife. We use the juices left in the foil to pour over the plated slices.

In the past when trying to pull chuck I found it somewhat difficult and would end up kind of chopping it up instead. That method produces great results too but I have found that slicing it is a bit easier and just as tasty.

I love plate ribs as well.

I don't really do anything special. Lately I've been cooking them on my pellet grill. In fact yesterday I did a 2 lb roast. Rubbed with Black OPS from Oakridge after a mustard slather, cooked for about 4 hours at 250 degrees, wrapped in foil and turned it up to 300. In about an hour it reached 205 internal and was probe tender. Let it rest about 30 minutes while I grilled some zucchini and yellow squash (would have rested longer if I had the time) and carved with an electric knife. We use the juices left in the foil to pour over the plated slices.

In the past when trying to pull chuck I found it somewhat difficult and would end up kind of chopping it up instead. That method produces great results too but I have found that slicing it is a bit easier and just as tasty.

I love plate ribs as well.
Sounds good!
I read that when cooking chuckies for pulling, that one should take them to a higher internal temp than then slicing, e.g. 210.
JD

Back