Cut of beef to smoke. Suggestions please?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,
I want to smoke some beef for 5 - 8 guests. I'll use my stick burner and am certainly open to wrapping and finishing in the oven after bark is well established.​​​​​​​
While I love brisket, I'm not looking for that type of commitment of $ or time.*
I love short ribs, would love something that took a tad less time, but am open to them.
Loved smoked chuck, but have only done it for pulled beef. I'l prefer something that I can slice.
Is there a cut of beef that I can smoke that will result in flavorful, juicy and tender slices or chunks that won't require 1/2 the day in the smoker?

Respectfully,
JD

2 or 3--- 2.5lb tri tips are quick and easy.......each can have its own dry rub or marinade. My go to dry rub is

2 TBS smoked paprika
1TBS salt
1 TBS black pepper
1TBS Garlic powder
1 TBS Onion powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne for a little kick.

Smoke these anywhere from 275 to 325 for a cook time of 30 minutes to an hour. Pull them off when you get an IT of 125-140 depending how you like them.....or just go by the "probe" feel if you are a purist ;)

Sliced smoked beef that is tender really limits your choice of cuts. Like Sako says, obvious choice is rib roast but that will wind up costing you just as much as a brisket or more, but be done quicker.

Even enough short ribs for 5-8 is going to cost you close to a brisket. I'm basing that on a small 12# brisket at $3.59 a pound = $43.08. But again, quicker.

Your cheaper beef roasts may be tough if smoked and not cooked like pot roast.

You could switch to grilling instead of smoking. A couple nice 2" thick sirloin steaks may be passable at a somewhat reasonable per pound price. Serve the steak/steaks on a large platter or cutting board already sliced and let the guests grab their own with some tongs buffet style.

how about a brisket point or brisket flat? Cheaper than a packer, but time wise not sure how much youre gonna save there.

EDIT: PICANHA?

Last edited:
Look up smoked London broil online and see if that may appeal to you. I looked it up before suggesting to make sure that it could be done and there are several that have had success with it. Now, I may try it in the near future myself.

Look up smoked London broil online and see if that may appeal to you. I looked it up before suggesting to make sure that it could be done and there are several that have had success with it. Now, I may try it in the near future myself.

That's funny that you suggested that, Ron. My dad use to part grill, part smoke london broils all the time when I was a kid because they were cheaper.

We had a PK grill back then before they became famous and expensive. Late 60's. He would sear the roast and then close the lid and smoke it for a short while with hickory chips.

Not long enough to go beyond medium rare or medium, but just long enough to pick up some smoke flavor.

I remember they were always good thin sliced, but not really "smoked" as the OP wants.

our typical london broil meal is marinate with soy worstecershire and other things i cant think of for a few hours. Get grill as hot as possible and flip/fleak (gasp!) every minute or so until internal is medium temp and will prevent the marinade from burning. Not a "smoke by any means, but its fast and tastes damn good.

Only suggestion for rib roast was because tri tip costs as much as rib roast in most places across the country. We seem to be the only ones getting tri tip for $5/lb even today but not the case for everyone else.

We seem to be the only ones getting tri tip for $5/lb even today but not the case for everyone else.

Not here, it was $7-8, but maybe double digits now.
I still like the idea though.
The meatloaf idea was good too.

You could smoke a rump roast with carrots, taters, and mushrooms, grill some ears of corn and crusty bread.

Thanks.
I love prime rib. Problem is my wife only eats well done. In my opinion prime rib is at it's best at medium rare.

2 or 3--- 2.5lb tri tips are quick and easy.......each can have its own dry rub or marinade. My go to dry rub is

2 TBS smoked paprika
1TBS salt
1 TBS black pepper
1TBS Garlic powder
1 TBS Onion powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne for a little kick.

Smoke these anywhere from 275 to 325 for a cook time of 30 minutes to an hour. Pull them off when you get an IT of 125-140 depending how you like them.....or just go by the "probe" feel if you are a purist ;)

I like your idea & love your rub. I like chipotle powder too. Thinking hard about tri tip like a brisket.

Thanks.
I love prime rib. Problem is my wife only eats well done. In my opinion prime rib is at it's best at medium rare.

When I met my GF 20 years ago, she would only eat well done. In 20 years I have managed to get her down to medium with an occasional medium rare mistake with no complaints. Just takes time and effort. :grin:

When I met my GF 20 years ago, she would only eat well done. In 20 years I have managed to get her down to medium with an occasional medium rare mistake with no complaints. Just takes time and effort. :grin:

Nicely done.
Been married decades. Wife is holding tight to well. She’s a pit bull & not giving an inch.
Thanks though.
JD

I have had great luck with prime rib. Its a shorter cook than brisket and also you can sear the ends at the end of the smoke in case you have guests that want medium rare while some want closer to well done.

Also, if you want a cheaper cut of beef given inflation, try chuck roast. Amazon has some and I have had great feedback. Usually a 2 to 3 hour smoke using a reverse sear method. https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Chuck-Ro...ywords=beef+chuck+roast&qid=1657204769&sr=8-5

Back