THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
What?

Doing my grocery shopping for the week at Publix I saw something labeled 'country style ribs pork shoulder' or something along those lines. It had both 'ribs' and 'shoulder' in the name. They looked good, darker red with lots of marbling. But it wasn't ribs, it looked like they took a shoulder (aka boston butt) and sliced it into rib-shaped pieces - is that what it is?

What's the best way to cook 'em? If it's really a shoulder I was worried it would need a low and slow cook to tenderize them.

you are correct. i cook them until probe tender. i might wrap if the bark is getting to dark/hard. i cook everything at 300 or higher.

But it wasn't ribs, it looked like they took a shoulder (aka boston butt) and sliced it into rib-shaped pieces - is that what it is?

Yepper.
"Country style ribs" are cut through the bone from shoulder and sometimes butt.

Sometimes I like to braise them in a covered tin pan, with some apple juice and my favorite sauce concoction, until they're tender. Then I'll give them a good bark by putting them over a hot fire for a couple minutes each side. Other times I'll just slow smoke them with my favorite pork rub, until they're tender. Sliced pork butt/shoulder (which is the same thing) is a very versatile piece of meat that can be cooked many different ways. The trick is to get them tender.....IMHO.

This is your chance to test different rubs side by side, because CSR are smaller than a butt.

Back