Cost Of Competing: At What Point Is It Too Much???

not to take it off track, but our contest pays out 100% of the entry fee. pay top 10 overall and top 10 in each category (4 kcbs) we offer water and electricity (20 or 30 amp) at each site, provide 40 lbs of ice. our spots go anywhere from 40 x 20 to 74 x 25. some spots are pull thru. in a city park. early entry is $200 and then to $225.

april 25th/26th in Gothenburg NE

It is like hunting.....do not justify the cost by the meat you put in the freezer. :wink:
By the way, I know of of a lot of game that has been in the freezer for years:grin:
My BBQ is gone by Saturday afternoon:tape:

I'm considering moving up into a sanctioned comp this year. We want to do it to have fun. Been doing backyards for a couple years now. Will we get a call? Most likely not. Will we learn a lot, and have fun? That's why we're doing it. If it's not fun, it's not worth it...

In Texas our comps are usually $100-125 entry fees. Most bring a generator and their own water source. Sometimes limited electricity and water hookups are available for an additional fee but usually not. Prize money is less, but it is cheaper to compete. Plus, there usually isn't a pork shoulder category and we turn in half chickens so you don't have to buy 8 chickens for 16 thighs to choose from like a lot of KCBS folks do. You can get buy with 1-2 chickens and less expensive overall meat cost.

I raised my fees to add more prize money, to draw bigger names and to even the field on space. I honestly think fees can go much higher. My contest takes around 25,000 to put on.
If any type of contest is paid back only by the entrance fees then it needs to be reviewed. The contest has to be funded by LOTS of work that people do not see. Radio stations, local grocery store, feed stores, local biusiness that will benifit from the contest..they have to be involved, without spending all the promotors money. To get the sponsors is not fun however the crafty ones land them. But to fund by ourselves is not going to allow growth or even existance..it will turn into just throwing a party for ourselves.

It's a hobby, not a money making venture. My other hobbies include playing poker. BBQ is more expensive :becky:

Same here-figure I get no change from $1,000 per contest. I can play a lot of poker for that

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
The thought of competing has entered my head a time or 2, but never investigated costs. Pretty sure it is well out of consideration now...

Wow! Was going to post the same thing after reading this thread.

Spend 15k to compete in a BBQ contest? :shock:

Don't give up on it just yet. You can compete, successfully, on a small budget. Think Harry Soo.
It is generally the creature comforts that raise the cost of competition; multiple pits, toy haulers, commercial tents, larger quantities of meats, etc....
We have chosen the more intricate setup, but we could compete with a whole lot less.

Check out the Ironman Contest thread, that could be the wave of the future.

I've paid as much as $475 to enter a contest. Probably won't do that again. About $350 is now my top $$ unless I really want to go there. My set up requires a 50' site, so I have to pay for the largest site. Depending on travel expenses, I spend between $600 and $1000 per contest and do between 10 and 15 a year. My team is ME and whoever wants to tags along. I pay all the cost myself. The last couple of years I've been lucky enough to get a few calls and have a return on my investment of around $5000/yr. It's a hobby-period. I have a blast doing it. I have friends who play golf, fish, boat or restore old cars and spend about the same coin, so I feel ok about it. Guess I'm just trying to justify my expense.

We are winning enough to cover food, entry fees, supplies, etc. but took us a few years to get good enough to do that. We are not including the depreciation on the capital expenses like the motorhome and the cookers though. Still, getting a call at The Jack and The Royal, finishing in the top 10 in Sam's and 2 Smoke on the Water events ... How do you put a price on that?

The successes, the fun, the experience, the new friends? Worth it.

I do it for the fun of it. I can't afford the Jambo or the Meadow Creek or Lang. But I wanted to try and see how I would do. And anyone that knows me can tell you that I only cook on backyard style pits ( the weber kettle, WSM , & a cheap offset smoker) .. I don't think that I've done to bad. Hell I've even done better than some of the teams with better equipment. My secret is I get a couple guys together. We split the cost of the entry fee the meats the ice the booze. And if we get a call and some prize money we split it equally.

...anyone that knows me can tell you that I only cook on backyard style pits ( the weber kettle, WSM , & a cheap offset smoker) .. I don't think that I've done to bad. Hell I've even done better than some of the teams with better equipment. /QUOTE]

There are plenty of people winning with WSMs or a UDS, you don't need a Jambo to win.

With commodity meats, people should expect to spend about 600 bucks for a KCBS event. (Meat, supplies, entry fees) So it's not cheap, but it's not 15k either.

...anyone that knows me can tell you that I only cook on backyard style pits ( the weber kettle, WSM , & a cheap offset smoker) .. I don't think that I've done to bad. Hell I've even done better than some of the teams with better equipment. /QUOTE]

There are plenty of people winning with WSMs or a UDS, you don't need a Jambo to win.

With commodity meats, people should expect to spend about 600 bucks for a KCBS event. (Meat, supplies, entry fees) So it's not cheap, but it's not 15k either.

Agreed I need a jambo. I like I that everyone brings out all types of pits. I stay up most of the night checking my temps. No bbq guru. No computers. Just me and my pits. And when I do better than a big name team with expensive equipment I have already won. But just the fact that I am a low budget team out there with the big dogs is a win in itself.

I assume you are talking about my post.

The $15,000 to compete is not a figure for everyone at Memphis in May. You can just compete for much less. The Patio division is $500 to enter and all you have to do is Ribs. If you own your tent, your grill, and don't want a huge party, you can do the contest for under $1000

We are not those people. TSTP has been doing Memphis in May for a decade. We have many members that come in from all over the country and the world for this contest. It is like nothing you have ever seen. We enter all the categories (11 plus if we are drawn for it, Kingsford Tour of Champions) thats 12 categories.

We enter with the largest available spot that opens onto the sidewalk 10 ft from the Mississippi River $3000
This spot is 26x50 feet with a rented 25x30 ft tent and a rented wooden floor. $3700
We have a DJ and a dancefloor
We have a full kitchen and Buffet for Lunch and Dinner that we give away to Members and guests
We have 2 rented porto johns for our exclusive use
We have a Full bar with 2 taps, Large double Margaritta machine, wine, liquor, complete with Bartenders...THAT WE CAN'T charge for...ie we give it away to our members and their guests
We rent $800 in electricity to power 1 large fridge, dance lights, freezer, cookers, work lights, PA system, fans, porto-cool, electric hot water sink, cellphone charging station, and various other things

This is half of what other teams do. Some build 2 and 3 story, multiple floor booths out of scaffolding...those guys spend at least $10,000 just for the scaffold...probably over 50-100,000 for the contest.

These are not normal costs, there are a few contests like this (Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, Big Pig Jig, Royal) but most are easily absorbed by 4 people on a team.

You can easily do 90% of KCBS or MBN Challenger contests if 4 people throw in $150 each for a weekend.

The $15,000 to compete is not a figure for everyone at Memphis in May. You can just compete for much less. The Patio division is $500 to enter and all you have to do is Ribs. If you own your tent, your grill, and don't want a huge party, you can do the contest for under $1000

We are not those people. TSTP has been doing Memphis in May for a decade. We have many members that come in from all over the country and the world for this contest. It is like nothing you have ever seen. We enter all the categories (11 plus if we are drawn for it, Kingsford Tour of Champions) thats 12 categories.

We enter with the largest available spot that opens onto the sidewalk 10 ft from the Mississippi River $3000
This spot is 26x50 feet with a rented 25x30 ft tent and a rented wooden floor. $3700
We have a full kitchen and Buffet for Lunch and Dinner that we give away to Members and guests
We have a Full bar with 2 taps, Large double Margaritta machine, wine, liquor, complete with Bartenders...THAT WE CAN'T charge for...ie we give it away to our members and their guests
We rent $800 in electricity to power 1 large fridge, dance lights, freezer, cookers, work lights, PA system, fans, porto-cool, electric hot water sink, cellphone charging station, and various other things

This is half of what other teams do. Some build 2 and 3 story, multiple floor booths out of scaffolding...those guys spend at least $10,000 just for the scaffold...probably over 50-100,000 for the contest.

These are not normal costs, there are a few contests like this (Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, Big Pig Jig, Royal) but most are easily absorbed by 4 people on a team.

You can easily do 90% of KCBS or MBN Challenger contests if 4 people throw in $150 each for a weekend.

Dang! Heck I wanna go just to visit you guys site! Sounds great!

wallace

Man...I want to party with YOU!!!!!!

Back