THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KORND4WG X

is One Chatty Farker
Picked up a package of corned beef at Costco last weekend on a whim. Never had it before. Thought it was brisket and found a recipe for smoking it for 3hrs and then throwing in a pan with cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onion until everything was tender.

Turned out it was from the opposite side of the cow which threw me for a loop :doh: I ended up going with it - on the M1 with cherry until 152 IT and then covered in foil with the fixings for 2hrs where the meat ended up at 195.

PaBvVpNl.jpg

hs5k2Mrl.jpg

Temps from my Thermoworks Smoke - as per usual M1 ran around 250-275 with about a split or 2 every 45-60mins.

nFFlXe9l.jpg

Honestly I didn’t care for the flavor or texture - it was tender and juicy enough but very hammy in both respects. Maybe I shouldn’t have cooked it like a brisket since it’s leaner. Probably won’t make it again although the fam did pretty well to finish up most of it :thumb:

I soak & rinse mine for a day or so, then cook like brisket and bam pastrami. I do love corned beef and cabbage though and would have loved what you made, did you use the the package of spices that came with it.

I soak & rinse mine for a day or so, then cook like brisket and bam pastrami. I do love corned beef and cabbage though and would have loved what you made, did you use the the package of spices that came with it.

Thank you sir. I didn't use the spice pack as I was already worried about too much salt already.

I was thinking pastrami as well but because I was cooking for the fam we just served with some horseradish and called it good :rolleyes:

Those store-bought pre-brined corn beef are pretty bad IMO. If you look at the amount of solution they inject on the package it is pretty dang high by weight. They are always too salty and have a weird texture I think.

Try making your own. It is one of the easiest curing things you can do and it will be sooooo much better. Once you cure your own you will never go back.

My local Costco sells SRF top round and brisket corned beef around St. Patrick’s Day. They are very good and I usually soak in water for a few hours and rinse/refill frequently. I like the rub that is provided and it has not been too salty for my family.

Those store-bought pre-brined corn beef are pretty bad IMO. If you look at the amount of solution they inject on the package it is pretty dang high by weight. They are always too salty and have a weird texture I think.

Try making your own. It is one of the easiest curing things you can do and it will be sooooo much better. Once you cure your own you will never go back.

My local Costco sells SRF top round and brisket corned beef around St. Patrick’s Day. They are very good and I usually soak in water for a few hours and rinse/refill frequently. I like the rub that is provided and it has not been too salty for my family.

And forgot to say - your corned beef and taters look marvelous!

Good feedback - I definitely could have planned this better. I really like pastrami sandwiches with spicy mustard and/or thousand is. dressing so that would be the only time I try this again :thumb:

Back