THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey guys.. Got the silverbac fired up today! A buddy of mine that works at the local store's meat department was wanting to buy a brisket to have me cook.. But with the current prices he settled for a pork butt.. Dropped this thing on my door step last night!

Funny story.. They all call me the BBQ guy.. I can be across the store and one of them comes out they yell "HEY BBQ GUY!!".. So yea I'm disappointed that I'm cooking on the pellet pooper.. But as of right now Its the only cooker I have.. Fell on hard times sold the offset, WSM and masterbuilt.. I'll be honest.. the people that got those cookers got them for one hell of a deal.... Oh well..

but dang does this thing look good! I have no shame.. Just won't tell them my little secret :icon_shy

Gonna throw on a couple cornish hen's for the missus in a little bit.. Pork butt has been on since 7 a.m. this morning.

fokMNygl.jpg

5 hours later... IT sitting around 150-160.. cooking at 250.

rJJjdyql.jpg

Panned at 165 degree's..Thing is.. I learned the art of BBQ the hard way.. started with a cheap stick burner (brinkmann trailmaster), bought a WSM... then built a $1500 vertical offset! I think I earned my tag as BBQ Guy even if I'm cooking with pellets LOL

zHL0v8cl.jpg

Alright.. well I ran into an issue.. my biggest mistake.. Letting the missus taste test one of the "hanging" pieces from this current pork butt.. first words out of her mouth is "OMG.. I HAVE TO HAVE SOME PULLED PORK NOW.. and I don't even really like pulled pork"....

Well.. If I'm cooking for people even if they say "oh take how ever much you want".. I still don't like taking much from their stuff if they paid for it.. So went to the same store which they cut pork butts into 2-3lb roasts.. Picked up two of them and added the cornish hens..

I would of waited til the end of the cook to add the hens for a high heat cook but since I'm gonna pull a few more hours for the new addition she was getting hungry and decided to say screw it.. cook at its current temp.. I might throw them in the oven to crisp the skin up tho..

BYuEZyll.jpg

Don't worry about the cooker you are using. It doesn't matter how you get there, it's the quality of the product when you arrive, and it looks as though there won't be any disappointed people when it's done!

HEY, BBQ GUY!!!!
That is looking mighty fine, and everyone will be happy, which is the only thing. We all use what we got, its the end product that matters; although we can all be our own worst critics.

Don't worry about the cooker you are using. It doesn't matter how you get there, it's the quality of the product when you arrive, and it looks as though there won't be any disappointed people when it's done!

HEY, BBQ GUY!!!!
That is looking mighty fine, and everyone will be happy, which is the only thing. We all use what we got, its the end product that matters; although we can all be our own worst critics.

Well truth of the matter is.. I took pride in my BBQ that I use to do it with wood and a real fire.. Especially for other people. But Once I got this pellet cooker I just realized I get a great product from it.. Everything coming off the silverbac is stellar.. To be honest.. I'm lazy.. once I found out how good my BBQ is on the pellet grill.. I'll never go back full time.. But I have considered a purchase of an old country smoke house..... the missus might not be happy LOL

So here we go! finishing pics.. Their pork butt is done.. bone pulled clean!

GXhrlYWl.jpg

One thing I learned I like to do.. I'll pour the juice in a bowl.. then pour it all over the pork butt.. then put it back in a bowl to separate the fat.
UDt39Vkl.jpg

Here's their pork butt! They should be happy with this.. Can't wait to hear all the stories about how good it is when I walk into the store after tomorrow when he shares with his co-workers.. haha!
I6bIo2ol.jpg

One Hen done..
qqaAURpl.jpg

Waiting for the other hen to get done.. threw on some corn with BBQ seasoning on it.
CGljYWYl.jpg

You know.. I've cooked many pork butts... And each time I've always wondered "do I really like pulled pork????" Just never found the right groove with it for some reason.. I've tried everything from sandwiches with sauce/slaw.. to by its self.. I love any BBQ by its self... But..

Today's cook really changed my mind.. I didn't do anything different... I love what comes off the silverbac.. I don't know if its cuz since I got the silverbac. on the long cooks I do 225-250 degree's.. which I'm normally running 275-300...

Here's the mini butts.. For 5 bucks each.. I don't have enough mouths to feed a whole pork butt.. I might go this route again when I want pulled pork.. one would be enough for my family..

nQBI4pEl.jpg

IrQp4Kml.jpg

Looks great, I love pulled pork , sandwiches, piled on a big old baked tater with some bbq sauce is really quick and easy if the pork is already done, tortilla chips and cheese . very versatile meat .

Looks great, I love pulled pork , sandwiches, piled on a big old baked tater with some bbq sauce is really quick and easy if the pork is already done, tortilla chips and cheese . very versatile meat .

gona make enchilada's tonight with the pulled pork.. Should be good

Looks to me like you and that Silverbac have got it together!!:clap2:
That is some great looking Pulled Pork there my Friend.:thumb::thumb:
Youre right, sometimes doing a huge Butt is too much for just the family, those small cuts work so much better!!

Seems like whenever I do a butt I just go ahead and do two. Of course I have 2 teenage boys but, I pull and freeze packages for quick and easy meals. Recently their favorite left over is simply add the (warmed) pulled pork to your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.:thumb:

Seems like whenever I do a butt I just go ahead and do two. Of course I have 2 teenage boys but, I pull and freeze packages for quick and easy meals. Recently their favorite left over is simply add the (warmed) pulled pork to your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.:thumb:

I'm just not a big fan of pulled pork for some reason.. I end up wasting alot cuz I don't feel like freezing it.. cuz I don't know when I would want it again.. and I would rather go to the store buy some fresh meat to give me a reason to cook more.. lol

Back